Unable to reattach dryer vent

Old 04-30-18, 05:10 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unable to reattach dryer vent

I have a kind of a silly problem. About a year ago, I attached a dryer vent to the dryer exhaust using a regular 4 inch clamp. A couple of days ago the vent disconnected while the dryer was running. Since, I've been trying to reattach it, but it keeps disconnecting after the dryer runs for a few minutes. I can't figure out what's going on. As I said, everything was fine for about a year. Any ideas?

Old 04-30-18, 05:37 AM
Received 79 Upvotes on 69 Posts
Is the dryer exhaust (fitting that vent hose attaches to) relatively straight and not collapsed? If you over tightened the clamp, the exhaust "pipe" could be smaller diameter at the outside end compared to the end nearest the dryer. This would cause the hose to want to slide off the "pipe". If this is the problem, try to expand the end of the "pipe" so that it's the same diameter for it's entire length. Also, try to position the clamp as close to the back of the dryer as you can get it. Tighten it so that it's snug, but don't overtighten.

Old 04-30-18, 06:10 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Checked the outside vent to make sure it's not plugged up.
If it is it will cause back pressure and blow the hose off.
Using a real hose clamp or one of those spring loaded ones?
I use foil tape instead of a clamp, never had one blow off yet.

Old 04-30-18, 06:49 AM
D
Thanks, Bob. I may well be that I overtightened the clamp. I'll check the pipe tonight.

Old 04-30-18, 06:52 AM
D
Thanks, Joe. The hose does not suddenly blow off... while it's still attached, I can see it very slowly moving away from the dryer till it completely disconnects. I am not using a spring-loaded clamp.

Actually, I was using foil tape, and it was fine for a year or so, but then it just started to give way, which is why I switched to using a clamp.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: