INGLIS Top Mount Refrigerator probable defrost tube plugged

Old 06-20-18, 02:08 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
INGLIS Top Mount Refrigerator probable defrost tube plugged

Hello Group.

I have an Inglis IRT184300 that is leaking water into the refrigerator compartment. I suspect that the defrost tube is plugged. This is a cottage fridge and as such was in an unheated condition during every winter for the last 10 years or so. I haven't been able to find anything on the interweb to point me in a direction as to how to address the problem. Any suggestions out there?

Thanks in advance, Randy

Last edited by Randy McDermott; 06-20-18 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Missed the 1 in the model number
Old 06-20-18, 07:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,421 Votes on 1,314 Posts
Click on "liner parts" to see the exploded view of the freezer area.
Link to the exploded views and parts..... sears parts direct/irt184300/html

My sister has almost the same exact fridge as that one. It gets the same problem. You will need to remove cover #23 first. Then cover #25. There is a very good chance that those parts will be frozen in place by ice. I shut the fridge off and use a blow dryer to melt the ice. Keep the dryer moving so you don't melt the plastic. You'll want to soak up the melted ice with towels. The drip pan below can't handle that much water and will overflow.

Once the covers are removed and the water cleaned...... you'll see the drain hole in the center back. It will be clogged with ice. You need to pour a little HOT water at a time on it to melt the ice. A small screwdriver will also help clean the hole. Keep the water draining down there to a minimum. After the hole is clear..... pour 1/4 cup of bleach mixed with a cup of hot water down the drain. That should do it for several more years.

Name:  inglis.JPG
Views: 220
Size:  41.4 KB

Old 06-21-18, 02:29 PM
R
Thanks for the quick reply Pete. I hope I'm not being rude in asking but wouldn't unplugging the fridge for 24 hours do the same thing? I mean, in the time it would take to follow your instructions I could have another rye and pepsi. All kidding aside, I really do appreciate the time you've taken to reply to me. Thanks muchly.

Old 06-21-18, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,421 Votes on 1,314 Posts
Yes..... but the drain would still be plugged with crap.
All kinds of stuff drains down there and closes off the hole.

Right now.... the ice is frozen over the crap.

Old 06-21-18, 05:22 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Back several years ago I had a top freezer model and had he same problem. It took literally forever to melt that ice out of the drain piping and then a few months later it would return.

I finally fixed the problem by taking some bare copper wire, about two feet or so of either #12 or #14 gauge and tightly wrapping most of it to the lowest coil of the defrost heater and leaving about an inch stuck down the drain tube. The wire transferred the heat from the defrost heater to the ice that would collect in the drain and melted it every time the refrigerator went through a defrost cycle. Never had a problem with an iced up drain after that.

Old 06-21-18, 05:32 PM
R
Sounds like that idea has some merit Furd. I'll add #12 and 14 gauge copper wire to my tool kit of duct tape and WD40. (I'll see how that works. Thanks)

Old 06-25-18, 03:25 PM
R
Thanks for your input guys. I don't go to the cottage very often but when I get things sorted out I'll report back here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: