Whirlpool Duet Washer is leaking water. What to do?

Old 08-07-18, 09:02 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Whirlpool Duet Washer is leaking water. What to do?

Hi,

For the past few months, I have been experiencing water leak from my Whirlpool Duet (model WFW8500SR03) washer. It is about 11 years old (or almost new, as I would call it).

A few years ago, I had a similar issue and it was solved by carefully cleaning the bottom of the transparent window, which over time had accumulated a little bundle of hair. Since then, I wipe the bottom of the door each time I do a wash cycle.

Since the problem returned, I decided to remove the rubber seal to check for wear/cracks (and also for a long overdue cleanup of the gunk). This task takes quite some time, but the following video was very helpful.

It is worth noting that my model is different than the one in the video and I have an extra screw under the control panel, in the middle (I cracked the plastic a little by prying without unscrewing it). See picture #1.

I also took the time to remove the various rubber hoses and clean the horrible gunk that has accumulated over the years.

This being said, the seal seemed in good condition and I reassembled everything and did a cleaning cycle. Things have definitely not improved - if anything, they are worst, although I do not think I make a mistake while reassembling. But seeing the cycle go through with the control panel, the bottom panel and the top panel removed, I was able to get an idea of the area where the water is coming from.

It seems there are at least 2 sources:
1- Picture #2:
There was a significant puddle in the middle, toward the rear right of the bottom of the washer, but I have no clue where is comes from.

2- Picture #3: On the left side, there is a small leak of water along the concrete/cement part, but I can't see where this is coming from. Looking from the top, I do not see a drop of water. From the bottom, I can run my hand along the cement and see that at some junction (with a plastic part?) there is a fine leak.

3- Picture #4 From below the door, there is a slight drip (don't think this justifies the puddle of water found inside and under the washer)

Any suggestion/advice on how to debug this further?

See following pictures.

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-18, 03:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
I know about hidden screw. Have done same thing. Did you take the hose off between tub and pump? If you did you may have pushed the hose to far up. There is a lip or bump that will cause the leak. Forgot which. Door leak almost always seal between door and cabinet. Look for a small tear or hair still stuck there.
The only thing on that side is the drain hose, hose between tub and pump and pump. You can run washer with lower and top panels off to see what is happening.

Old 08-08-18, 07:54 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Did you take the hose off between tub and pump?
I don't think so, where is it located? I only take off the items related to the drain assembly. See 4 arrows in the attached picture.

. Door leak almost always seal between door and cabinet. Look for a small tear or hair still stuck there.
That has been my experience in the past, but not this time. It is 100% clean. I have not tried to disassemble the door itself (plastic "bubble" with grey frame around it). Is there a seal there?

The only thing on that side is the drain hose, hose between tub and pump and pump.
I did play a bit with the hose that links the detergent tray to the main cavity, I'll take a second look, but I really thought I had it properly in place. I'll try to figure out where is the pump.

You can run washer with lower and top panels off to see what is happening.
Yes, I did, this is when I took the pictures. If you look at my picture #3 from my original post, you can see that there is water running with the concrete (it is darker), but running my hand along the concrete, I can feel there is water coming from a junction of the concrete and something else, but I can't see it (from bottom or top).

Attached Images  
Old 05-15-20, 07:07 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have the same issue. I have replaced the tub seal ($100) and replaced the drain pump ($50). Have you shaken the tub when not in use? If you shake it and hear water sloshing, the drain is not sending all the water in the exit hose, therefore it is backing up, causing a leak. You should also turn your water off and open the drain pump to clear it out often. Make sure to place a bag or large bowl under the drain pump when opening it as a ton of water will come rushing out. You should also try to clear the grey hose (water exit from drain pump). It runs all the way up the back of the washer and out to your drain pipes. If this is clogged, the water can't be pushed out causing a back up. You can use a drain snake as well, but also check for holes in the hose. For my issue, I cleared all of this and it is now showing the leak from the clamp on the grey hose since the previous owner used a one time clamp ring and I need to get a constant tension spring clamp (1 3/8in).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6A9m85JEWs