Frigidaire Fridge - Warm Freezer

Old 09-06-18, 09:56 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frigidaire Fridge - Warm Freezer

Hi everyone,

Got a common problem here - the Frigidaire FPHI2187KF0 Top Freezer fridge.
At some point, the thermostat dial was turned down to minimum and the there was constant dripping from the airflow vents onto top two shelves and I constantly had to mop it up.

FInally noticed it, set the dial to the middle but the ice cream in the freezer stayed very soft and soupy so I put my thermometers in both fridge and freezer and the fridge cycled between 35 - 48 on normal thermostat setting, freeze went from 5 - 25 between cycles.

I set the thermostat on high (almost all the way to the right) on the dial. Now the fridge temp cycles between 30 - 40 while the freezer goes between 0 - 20 between cycles.

I saw that defrost timer or thermostat could be an issue? See attached back panel pics of the coil behind the freezer door. I also dusted off the compressor coils - they were dusty but not terrible.

Thoughts on troubleshooting this? When the compressor is on, the freezer reaches 0 but doesn't stay there. Don't see any leaks and the door is shut tight. Perhaps the fridge doesn't turn on often enough to maintain low freezer temp? The fridge had to be serviced within its first year due to a freon leak in one of the solder joints but has been ok for 6-7 yrs.

Thank you all

Last edited by PJmax; 09-06-18 at 11:13 PM. Reason: removed non operating link
Old 09-06-18, 11:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
Your google link(s) was private. You'd need to set those pictures to public view.
You can post pictures here directly..... How-to-insert-pictures

The thermostat is what holds the temps fairly constant. Your dripping water issue sounds like a partially plugged drain pan under the freezer coil. Keeping the condenser coil under the fridge clean is important for quicker recovery. Make sure that fan is clean and running down there.

Have you checked the freezer coil for excessive icing ?
There is also a fan that blows thru air too.

Old 09-07-18, 06:05 AM
G
Thanks for the quick reply. The freezer fan is clean and runs. Re-attached pics showing freezer coil.

Turned the defrost timer manually while the compressor was running, once it clicked the compressor stopped. The freezer was reassembled by then so couldn't tell if the defroster turned on but based on low amount of ice buildup, defroster works.

I feel the fan blowing through the bottom of the toe kick, where the drip pan is.

Not sure at this point where the issue may be...low freon? leak? The ice buildup is concentrated at the middle bottom of the freezer coil...so not sure

Attached Images     
Old 09-07-18, 11:51 AM
G
When the compressor runs, the fridge goes to 0 freezer / 32 fridge but it seems like it's not turning on once the temp goes above 40. This morning, fridge was at 45, freezer at 18.

WOuld the thermostat be the culprit?

Old 09-07-18, 07:26 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.... that would definitely be the indication of a defective thermostat.

Old 09-07-18, 07:35 PM
G
Now I turned the dial to coldest setting and the compressor/fans turned on and it's cooling again. but don't know if it'll hold overnight. I think the ice pattern on the coil looks ok so not likely to be defrost timer or defrost thermostat.

Pulled a number off the cold thermostat, 450226-16, can only find used ones on ebay.
Would 241537103 be a replacement model? Ebay seems to think so, design is similar.

Thanks again!

Old 09-07-18, 09:37 PM
Group Moderator
Yes..... that number is listed as a an updated replacement.

Original Frigidaire OEM part # 5304445058
Google it for retailers. Amazon also has it.

Old 09-13-18, 08:43 PM
G
Well, a new thermostat didn't help. The temp still climbs into high 40's in the fridge and into mid-teens in the freezer. I turned the thermostat handle all the way to COLDEST but compressor didn't kick in yet.

Earlier in the day, I did advance the defrost timer in the fridge to the defrost cycle, heard a click, the compressor stopped but the defroster never got hot. There's very little ice buildup, as seen in prior pics. How hot should the defroster get in the freezer? I did burn my finger on the ice maker defroster coil though.

Lost at what it might be.

Old 02-17-19, 09:27 AM
S
Did you ever figure out the root cause? I have the same issue with my Frigidaire where I need to use the highest thermostat setting to maintain 30-38F in the fridge and 0F-18F in the freezer. It's almost as if the compressor decides not to kick on letting temperatures rise. I open the fridge to force the compressor to kick on. Every few days, it seems to kick on for a long period of time. Fridge drops to 30-32F but freezer plummets to -5 to 0F.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: