Unused dryer duct

Old 10-12-18, 01:18 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unused dryer duct

Hello. My wife and I recently purchased a home. We haven't had a clothes dryer in two years or so, and we don't plan on buying one anytime in the future. We use a clothesline to dry all our laundry year-round (a benefit of relatively mild Texas winters).

The home includes a laundry room, which of course has a vent cut out in one wall. I'd like to seal both the inside and outside holes up in a semi-permanent way. If we ever need a dryer years down the road, I'd like to be able to unseal the hole easily.

Should I just tape it up, and periodically replace tape that's worn down? Maybe seal them off with metal plates? I'm not at all well-versed in home improvement, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 10-12-18, 01:28 PM
Received 421 Votes on 392 Posts
Id leave the outside vent alone and just remove any inside duct work that is in the room, stuff a piece of insulation in the duct, tape it up and call it good!

Old 10-12-18, 04:15 PM
A
Received 68 Votes on 62 Posts
Not clear from what you said, but it sounds like a straight shot through the wall, presumably rigid metal, so is it just that on the outside or is there a louver? I understand that it may not sound too exciting given that you don't intend to use it for the time being, but if it doesn't have one, from a weather standpoint, I would at least install a louver. After that, just do as Marq said, stuff insulation in there and tape it. It would be overkill, and you want to make sure to not over stuff it, but if you want something a bit tighter you could put a plastic bag in there and shoot a shppppt of spray foam in the bag, then tape the inside. Just don't give it much because it could expand enough to dislodge the louver.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: