LG freezer with possible defrost issues

Old 10-24-18, 08:36 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LG freezer with possible defrost issues

we have a 5 year old LG LFX31945ST fridge which has a bottom freezer drawer. One of the inside drawers became stuck so I pulled out all of the drawers including the main freezer drawer. As I was getting ready to reassemble everything two very large chunks of ice fell out. I can’t imagine that’s normal to have that kind of ice build up. I have no clue where in the freezer it was lodged. Anyway, does this mean that the defrost cycle is not working? How would I go about testing this? Thanks in advance!

Old 10-24-18, 09:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
I'm not familiar with this unit and the service info is confusing. It looks like the unit has two evaporator coils and several fans. As a guess I'd say you have a plugged condensate drain. When the coil(s) defrost..... the water runs to a drain and then down to a tray in the bottom where it is evaporated by the hot air. If it can't drain it collects inside and freezes.

I found a service manual for free and you can get it at the link below. I'd say go thru it and identify how to get to the two evaporator coils and then check them for icing. You can force the unit into defrost by pressing the program button on the main board but that is in the back of the fridge.

I'll look over the manual too.

Scribd manuals

Old 10-25-18, 08:24 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ok thanks so much. Looks like page 19 has the location of the two evaporators but no instructions on how to access or where the drain is. I’ll try to look this weekend when I have time to take everything out. Just curious though, if the drain is plugged would that cause ice buildup on the coils as well, or would that just be a sign that it’s not defrosting properly? If you have any suggestions on how to find the drain, let me know. I don’t mind pulling the fridge to access the back if that would help in diagnostics. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: