Kenmore/Whirlpool Refrigerator Not Getting Cold

Old 11-16-18, 10:54 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kenmore/Whirlpool Refrigerator Not Getting Cold

I have a 12 y/o Kenmore top freezer refrigerator made by Whirlpool (model 106.64242402) that appears to have died (it doesn't get cold anymore). A repair guy was here and tested a few things, but seemed stumped. He replaced the relay, but he didn't think that would solve the problem (neither did I). I'm going to have to buy a new fridge, but I'm not sure if it's worth keeping this old one and trying to get my dad to fix it (he might be capable, but this is not my area of DIY).

The fridge is still running, but it won't get cold. Freezer is at 50-60 Fahrenheit. It runs a lot, but has cut off. Just before it cuts off (since the problem started), it sounds like it's about to lose electricity. As an example, when it storms here, sometimes the lights dim several times in a few seconds, but don't go out. When this happens, some of the appliances, like the refrigerator, make noises like they're losing and regaining power, if that makes sense. That's probably not good for the fridge.
The fridge normally runs a lot anyway, like at least 80% of the time. It's supposed to be energy star compliant and the manual states that it's normal to run a lot, but doesn't define what that means. When I turn the temperature dial to the warmest setting, the fridge cuts off and when I change it to colder, it turns on, so I can't imagine it's the thermostat.
I did clean the coils under the fridge, but they're a pain to access so they only get cleaned once a year. That's probably bad because there's so much pet hair under there that there was enough to make a small puppy or two.

I'm not sure if the repair guy was any good. It was late, cold, rainy, and slushy out and the office was closed when he left. So he may have just hurried through things to get out of here. It seems like he should've had some idea as to what the problem is. The fact that he tried the relay kind of made me wonder about him. But then, I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Any thoughts as to what could be wrong?

Old 11-16-18, 03:55 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Refrigerators have been around for 100 years, you would think by now appliances should be built proof and last 25 plus years.

In actuality the government has put in energy requirements that forces manufactures to use small motors and compressors that do not last.

I'm from the government and here to help!! Right!!

You got 12 years, strip everything and sell the parts on eBay then call the elec company to pick up and they will give you a rebate!

Old 11-16-18, 04:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
You'd need to check and feel the compressor.
If it's running but not getting hot..... chances are you've lost your refrigerant charge.
If it's not running..... it may be easily repairable.

Old 11-16-18, 05:48 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Where is the compressor located?

I don't know if this matters, but when facing the front of the fridge, the upper left side always had a warm area on it. It's not warm anymore. But I don't know why it would've been warm there to begin with.

Old 11-16-18, 06:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Some fridges run the condenser side of the sealed system thru the sidewalls of the fridge to dissipate heat. The compressor will be at the bottom back of the fridge. Probably behind a cardboard shield.

Old 11-16-18, 08:00 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Do a simple visual and look at the coils under the fridge. There should be a small grate at the bottom front of the fridge, it pops off. Underneath are the coils. If they are jam pack full of dust and lint or pet hair, they will not be able to dissipate the heat to cool the unit. This is so basic, and I can't believe the repair may didn't inspect it, but just may be the ticket.

My first apartment, the landlord said I could have the stove and fridge for $100. He said the stove was good, but the fridge didn't make ice anymore. After touring the place and seeing the level of dust on everything, I agreed to the deal. Moved in, took off the lower cover, cleaned the coils and had a perfectly working fridge for the next 15 years. Took me 10 minutes to get it to start to make ice again. Sold it to a buddy of mine who turned it into a beer kegerator and it may still be running for all I know. That was 30 years ago.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: