Maytag a112 no agitation after filling

Old 11-25-18, 04:46 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Maytag a112 no agitation after filling

The following has occurred over the past 3 days.

On Friday, while washing a load of clothes on the Regular Cycle, the Maytag A112; Series 04; Serial # 457578 XC, tripped the dedicated breaker, with the timer dial pointing between the Rinse & Spin marks. Resetting the breaker & re-engaging the timer caused the breaker to trip again. After resetting the breaker, I manually advanced the timer to the Spin position & the machine proceeded to spin & drain the water from the drum.

On Saturday, I attempted to simulate the Regular Cycle. The moment the washer finished filling the drum, the circuit breaker tripped. Manually advancing the timer dial to the half way point between the “2” mark & Rinse mark allowed the Regular Cycle to continue; spinning & draining the drum. The drum began filling again, in preparation for the Rinse Cycle. Once again, the moment the washer finished filling the drum, the circuit breaker tripped. Again, I manually advanced the timer to the Spin position & the machine proceeded to spin & drain the water from the drum.

I attempted to simulate the Permanent-Press Cycle with the exact same results; breakers tripping at the end of the drum filling; manually advancing the timer allowed the spinning & draining of the drum. So, on both Regular & Permanent-Press Cycles, no agitation action was possible.

On Sunday, I attempted to simulate the Regular Cycle. The moment the washer finished filling the drum, the circuit breaker no longer tripped, but rather resulted in a buzzing sound, coming from the motor. Manually advancing the timer dial to the half way point between the “2” mark & Rinse mark allowed the Regular Cycle to continue; spinning & draining the drum. The drum began filling again, in preparation for the Rinse Cycle. Once again, the moment the washer finished filling the drum, the circuit breaker no longer tripped, but rather resulted in a buzzing sound, coming from the motor. Again, I manually advanced the timer to the Spin position & the machine proceeded to spin & drain the water from the drum.

I attempted to simulate the Permanent-Press Cycle with the exact same results; breakers no longer tripping, but rather resulted in a buzzing sound, coming from the motor at the end of the drum filling; manually advancing the timer allowed the spinning & draining of the machine. So, on both Regular & Permanent-Press Cycles, no agitation action was possible.

I'm confused at this point; the motor works to spin & drain the drum, but doesn't work to agitate. What function of the washing machine dictates agitation action vs. spinning action?

Old 11-25-18, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
There are multiple windings in the motor. I need to look up to see if that machine uses one winding for agitate and another for spin. Typically the motors are two speed. For a standard wash the motor rotates in the forward direction for agitate and then the reverse direction for spin and drain.

I'm leaning towards a problem with the start switch on the motor itself.

I believe this is a belt driven machine. You should be able to unplug it, tip it back and see if you can turn the pulleys in both directions. If it locks up in one direction it could be a transmission failure.

Old 11-25-18, 11:10 PM
B
I can turn the pulleys in both directions with freedom of movement.

For the record, the old motor model # is: S67PXHEH-6642. The plate on the motor also says: MFR. NO. A89A9 & above it: E22922. In the upper left corner is: PART # 2-1664-12, & below it, some type logo "SR" followed by LR2459.

The replacement motor model # is: 12002351.

I'm no electrical expert, but I removed the wires from the start switch terminals & checked the black & white terminals for continuity; start switch checks for continuity.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Old 11-26-18, 04:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Haven't worked on one of those in years, Trying to remember if it has a speed switch. On some washers they go bad and try to engage both speeds.

Old 11-28-18, 04:48 PM
B
To rule out a possible motor issue, I was able to acquire a loaner motor, but to no avail; same issue. After the drum fills, the washer buzzes. Any ideas?

I disconnected the black hose, that leads from the water level pressure switch to the drum, & made certain that no clogs were present in the hosing. Can someone tell me how to check the pressure switch for continuity with a voltmeter? I saw an Internet video involving lightly blowing into tygon tubing attached to the switch & using a voltmeter. My pressure switch has 3 terminals: 2 terminals on one side & 1 terminal on the other side. Attached to the lone terminal side is a grey lead, that attaches to the timer. On the first terminal of the dual terminal side is a brown lead that attaches to the timer as well. On the second terminal of the dual terminal side is a double yellow lead (sharing the same spade connector), with one yellow lead attached to the lid switch & the other yellow lead attached to the timer.

I'm truly puzzled. I was virtually 100% certain the motor was at fault, but was wrong. I'm hoping it's the timer or pressure switch; I don't want to think of it being the transmission.

Last edited by bobioni57; 11-28-18 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Error
Old 11-29-18, 07:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Without a wiring diagram I really can't help. There should be a diagram someplace in or glued on back.

Old 12-02-18, 07:42 PM
B
After testing virtually every testable component & not observing a single symptom of a bad transmission, I decided to replace the timer; no diagram seemed to exist with respect to testing it & got lucky. My Maytag A112, manufactured in February of 1989 lives to wash for days to come. Thanks to all who provided insight to some degree, although not a single reply ever suggested it might possibly be the timer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: