exhaust fan dumps water back on the cooktop

Old 12-03-18, 08:01 AM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
exhaust fan dumps water back on the cooktop

i have a 5 year old broan (300+ dollar) unit above my induction cooktop.

past few months when i'm boiling water i have a puddle of water on the cooktop right under where the exhaust fan is located. thankfully i never use that rear burner but i know this is not right. why does it drip water back on the cooktop?

im a very light cooker and the filters are like new and i do wash them occasionally

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-18, 08:07 AM
Received 396 Votes on 370 Posts
There have been some recent posts related to bathroom exhaust fans doing essentially the same thing.

You are boiling water, a lot of moist steam is being exhausted, as the steam hits the cold duct it condenses and water forms and then drips down.

How does the exhaust exit the kitchen? Is it insulated?

Old 12-03-18, 08:11 AM
L
not insulated but its about 6 feet from the cooktop to the outside wall. no way to easily insulate it even if i wanted to now. i guess the real question is why didnt it do this in past years? i know theres some kind of flap in there because the same vent is use for my wall oven vent but i virtually never use that.

i used to hear the flap THUMP when turned on one fan or the other. perhaps its open/shut when it shouldnt be but now that my new oven has been installed i have no access to that vent

Old 12-03-18, 05:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Sounds like the vent is stuck. Does it do it on a warm day?

Old 12-04-18, 05:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
Yea, take a look at the damper. It might be broken or stuck, especially if you no longer hear it thump when you turn the fan off or on. Without a damper cold air can have free access to the duct causing the condensation to be worse than usual.

Old 12-04-18, 04:03 PM
L
i only ever heard it when i turned on 'the other ' fan. meaning if i used the oven fan, i heard the thump. then went back to the stove fan, heard thump. how in the world do you get into cabinets to do work around them? i really hate to cut into cabinets then into the vent pipe itself.

there are no more warm days here in PA so ill wait till summer to boil water and keep a log next to the stove to monitor the status