GE washer leaking. Not sure how to troubleshoot effectively

Old 12-16-18, 04:27 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE washer leaking. Not sure how to troubleshoot effectively

GE GTW460 washer - about 3 years old.

First of all, I don't see any way to remove the front/back or sides without removing the tub so I'm kind of stuck on how to see exactly where this thing is leaking from.

I ran the diagnostics and the first real test was the hot water inlet. After what seemed like about 30 seconds of hot water, the puddle started appearing at the rear right hand side. It's like the water just goes right through the tub.

I tipped the machine on it's front to look via the bottom and there are no obvious places where it would leak.

I've eliminated the inlet hoses, the pressure pipe and the waste pipes so what else does that leave? The inner and outer tub seals?

One thing that did seem odd is the auger is rather wobbly and it sounds like something is loose inside it but I couldn't get the part off. Does anyone know the trick to it?

Am I missing something obvious? Especially with the removal of the cabinet.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-18, 06:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,121 Votes on 1,041 Posts
You left a partial model number. Using ..... GTW460ASJ1WW
The second link is a video showing how to open the machine.
Sears direct parts - exploded views
Washer disassembly

Old 12-16-18, 06:41 PM
O
Sorry about the p/n - I thought the first part would be enough. My full model number is GTW460ASJ0WW
I found a service manual at http://members.msaworld.com/wp-conte...04/31-9254.pdf and page 52 shows the cabinet as one unit that must be lifted over and off. I can't just remove one side while the machine is on

Old 12-17-18, 04:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
The back panel of console should come off.You should be able to see the water valve there. Been many years since I have seen your machine so this could be a little different. Usually there are 2 screw in the hinges on each side. Take screws out , leave the hinge there, push top to front a little to get past front hooks, lift top back from front You should be able to see everything from there.
Just looked a manual you posted. I think the part from page 45 on will help. also look at the water section.

Old 12-17-18, 04:49 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I've gotten water on the floor because the tub wasn't sitting level and water from the fill spout (inside the unit) was making it's way behind the tub. Just something simple to check.

Old 12-21-18, 05:06 PM
O
I finally had time to take a deeper look at this and it is leaking from the internal waste pipe. I couldn't see it until I raised the washer up and poured some water in. You can only really see the hole in the tube when you extend it but once you know where it is you can feel it.

One other thing I noticed though is that the "Agitator Base Assembly" has a couple of small holes after a drill bit made it's way into the washing. In one place you can see where the bit is still embedded in the plastic and sticking through to the other side (but it's flush on the side where the clothes are) - the other hole is the same size so I suspect it happened in the same cycle.

Is this something that needs to be replaced as well? I suspect it's been this way for months.

Old 12-22-18, 03:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you talking about the drain hose that goes to wall? Don't try to fix just replace it. Take a picture of agitator damage so we can see if it needs replacement. Check it see if any snags are around holes. Just plastic so youcould lightly sand them off.

Old 12-22-18, 06:12 AM
O
It's the internal hose that goes between the pump and the external connector on the outside of the machine (PN WH41X24177)

I'm definitely not trying to fix it But when I was looking at getting the replacement part, it costs almost as much to ship so if I'm going to have to replace the agitator as well, I may as well combine costs. Just not sure whether it's worth dropping the extra ~$40 on the other part.

It doesn't look like it creates a waterproof seal between the agitator (WH43X25447 - this is the part with the small hole) and the tub but then again, this is why I'm asking the experts.

I'll get the picture later today

Old 12-22-18, 05:52 PM
O
Here are the pictures of the lower agitator

This is the underside showing the drill bit sticking through

This is the other side where it must have snapped right off

The drill bit is kind of acting as a plug on that one but there's a hole that looks like it's a similar size one of the other fins too (not pictured but it looks just like the second picture *if* that was a hole.

TBH, I'm leaning towards just replacing it anyway

Old 12-23-18, 04:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would just pull the drill bit out. That hole won't hurt anything. Look at the tub under where the drill bit may have cut a hole in tub.Have seen that before with nails that have dragged on tub and cut a hole.