Self clean function on Samsung range problems!

Old 01-07-19, 05:08 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Self clean function on Samsung range problems!

Samsung Electric Range #NE59J7630SS/AA
Following its first ever Self-Clean cycle, the display shows “C-31” and touchpad controls no longer function. No timer, Bake, Broil, Set, Cancel/Off, etc. However, the cooktop works.

Troubleshooting...
1. Checked thermal high limit – continuity verified.
2. Checked high limit-to-PCB wires – continuity verified.
3. Checked oven thermistor – 879 ohms at room temperature – in spec.
4. Checked oven lock motor/switch assembly –functioning properly

Troubleshooting continued:
When power is cycled on (plugged in) the display shows “12:00” for two seconds followed by four.beeps.four.beeps.four.beeps.four.beeps at which time the keypad is disabled and the display shows “C-31”
If any touchpad key is depressed within that initial 2 seconds, the selection works but then the system locks out with the C-31 display.

The owner’s manual states that error code C-31 is caused by an overheated PCB. The solution is to call for service.

Except for offering suggestions for a local, authorized repair company, Samsung Customer Service has no solution for Error Code C-31.

I suspect the oven’s PCB is the culprit but don’t wish to pay $110 - $150 for a replacement part when I can’t verify it’s at fault. And, I cannot locate any information regarding the resolution to C-31. It seems to be a closely guarded Samsung secret
Anybody got some knowledge about a solution?

[Conspiracy theory Mode On]
Because there are several pages of “Me, Toos”, (with over 14,000 views) on Samsung’s Community Forum regarding failures associated with Self-Clean operation, Samsung is maintaining their servicing partners happy…and busy. And, covering their hindquarters?

Close examination of the PCB reveals two pinhole spots with Open Switch symbols. Could it be that momentarily “closing” that switch will reset the microprocessor?
[Conspiracy theory Mode Off]

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-19, 06:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
I've been working on your problem. I've noticed a growing problem with these control boards and that's relay failure or defective solder on the relays and the power connections. Many members have come here with that problem.

I don't know how your range knows there is a relay problem. I have several training manuals but not your exact service manual. There are just too many to have. The C-31 code is directly related to the oven.

I have a question for you..... where did you get this......
Checked oven thermistor – 879 ohms at room temperature – in spec.

According to the Samsung manuals.... for 70 degrees..... resistance should be around 1090 ohms.
879 ohms should be around 0 degrees. I have a feeling your temp sensor may be bad.

I don't see any master reset for that board. The relay board is just a control board. It gets it's commands from the micom board. Just removing power from the range for several minutes would discharge the power supply.

Old 01-07-19, 07:08 PM
Group Moderator
Check out the manual in the link. It is similar to yours. Many share the same electronics. You'll notice the relay board is the same.

Samsung range service manual

Old 01-08-19, 04:48 AM
B
Thanks PJmax.

The reported thermistor resistance may be incorrect...I'm working with an old guy memory. I'll check it again but a brand new thermistor showed the identical resistance.

The service manual is helpful. However, still no documentation on error C31.

Thanks again for your assistance,

Old 01-08-19, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
I can't find any direct reference to a C-31 fault from Samsung. I did read at a trade site that the relay problem was well known and yet I haven't heard of it or find very little about it. If it is a relay problem like it's supposed to be..... I'd pull out the control board and check the back for burned areas or broken solder connections around the relays.

Old 08-07-19, 03:50 PM
H
i have the same issue C31

i have the same symptoms and error code C-31
any luck with a solution

Old 08-07-19, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
There is still the same confusion today as there was when this was first posted. I have not found a C-31 code listed as a Samsung fault. I see many with the problem. Some say it's the temperature sensor. I doubt that.

Old 08-08-19, 03:07 PM
H
my temperature sensor is ok resistance is at 1090

Old 08-08-19, 04:05 PM
Group Moderator
At the current time..... it looks like a board replacement is the only remedy.