Frigidaire upright freezer runs continuously

Old 01-19-19, 10:00 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Frigidaire upright freezer runs continuously

Hi,

I have a Frigidaire LFFH2067DW2. It's running continuously. Interior temp is about 0 deg F.

If I turn the thermostat down to almost off it does shut off and will cycle on later but temp is about 10 deg F. So I think the thermostat is OK but if I set the thermostat at anything colder than the min the compressor runs continuously.

It seems that not that much heat is being extracted from the coils because in the past I have left the door ajar by accident and the exterior walls of the unit are hot, currently they are just barely warm.

I'm thinking it may be the defrost thermostat, it's a low cost item. Regardless i assume next step is to expose the coils and take a look?

Thanks

Old 01-19-19, 11:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,409 Upvotes on 3,059 Posts
If the unit keeps on running it should be getting colder. The first place to start is to pull the freezer away from the wall and make sure the condenser coil on the backside bottom is clean. If it can't get rid of heat it will keep running. There is a mechanical defrost timer also in the back that you could trip manually and see if the defrost heater is working.

searspartsdirect/model-number/lffh2067dw2

Old 01-19-19, 12:54 PM
A
Thanks,

Not much in the rear, just what you see in the picture.
There appears to be a knob on the left side.

I think the condenser coils are enclosed in cabinet on this model, cabinet gets hot when unit is working hard.

I ordered the defrost thermostat, if it's not that I may have to hire a pro.

Attached Images  
Old 01-19-19, 01:01 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.... you can use a screwdriver to turn the knob to put it into defrost.
You may have a refrigerant leak.

Old 01-19-19, 03:03 PM
A
I set the temp lower and it is going to -10 F but still never shuits off.
Is the temp sensor part of the temperature controller? I think it is.

Perhaps the controller is not seeing the correct internal temp and thus never shutting off. I ordered this part also so if neither works will get help.

Thanks

Old 01-19-19, 04:41 PM
Group Moderator
The thermostat is directly behind the knob. Depending on its location there could be a remote capillary (small copper tube) attached to it and leading into the freezer section. It's possible that the sensor is sitting in ice causing it to not read properly.

In the link..... click on it after opening for an expanded view.... 21 is the stat, 22 and 22A are the sensing/remote tube.

Exploded inside view

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: