More efficient to run dishwasher?

Old 01-19-19, 12:44 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
More efficient to run dishwasher?

I'm by myself and have been washing dishes by hand every evening. I have a dishwasher. Occasionally I'll load it (would take about a week typically) until just about full then run it. I heard on another forum that using the dishwasher in that method may actually use less water than everyday manually. Of course there's some electrical cost - but overall I wonder if better to use the dishwasher once a week or so.

Another theory I've heard is it's not good to run the dishwasher only occasionally due to seals becoming overly dry.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-19, 12:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,204 Votes on 1,114 Posts
I run mine every other day. It takes two days to fill it.

Running it once a week is also fine. That is often enough to keep the seals lubricated.
Is it more efficient..... mehhhh. It's really hard to say. Running it once a week is definitely more efficient than every day if you have enough clean "stuff" to last the week.

Old 01-19-19, 02:09 PM
Received 397 Votes on 371 Posts
The most efficient way is to run it when it's completely full, if it takes 2 days or 2 weeks, same for any other appliance like washing machines and dryers!

If you start worrying about seals drying up due to use you will drive yourself crazy, seals on the washing machine, seals on your car, seals on your refrigerator.

Old 01-19-19, 03:51 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I heard once that a dishwasher uses something like 8 gallons of water. Doubtful you could hand wash as many dishes as a full load with only 8.

Old 01-19-19, 04:24 PM
S
Interesting a dishwasher load uses about 8 gallons. Yes, I'd very likely use a lot more than that if washing a full load by hand.

That could be a myth about seals drying up. I may start the weekly dishwasher routine. I'll try to open the door to turn off the drying cycle - really don't need that. Still will hand wash or rinse when appropriate - a coffee cup for example on the weekend. Just rinse it out and put it in the strainer.

Old 01-19-19, 05:36 PM
Received 257 Votes on 231 Posts
That could be a myth about seals drying up.
Not quite. If an item that has seals and washer can become "dry" and brittle if not "worked" occasionally. This is especially true on the older style stem and washer valves. But it takes a long time. You have nothing to worry about even if you left the DW unused for many weeks. How long do they sit in a store or a warehouse before they are sold.

If you start worrying about seals drying up due to use you will drive yourself crazy, seals on the washing machine, seals on your car, seals on your refrigerator.
You forgot seals in the ocean.

Old 01-19-19, 06:34 PM
H
Received 112 Votes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by stevek66
Interesting a dishwasher load uses about 8 gallons. Yes, I'd very likely use a lot more than that if washing a full load by hand.
Also, many newer dishwashers heat the water to sterilizing temperatures that are high enough that you couldn't stand to hand wash.

Old 01-20-19, 07:27 AM
S
Originally Posted by Norm201 View Post
Not quite. If an item that has seals and washer can become "dry" and brittle if not "worked" occasionally. This is especially true on the older style stem and washer valves. But it takes a long time. You have nothing to worry about even if you left the DW unused for many weeks. How long do they sit in a store or a warehouse before they are sold.

You forgot seals in the ocean.
That's what I heard - "dry, brittle" etc. if not run. The interval was many weeks idle at a time, so probably not a concern.

And yes, forgot about the seals I saw the one time I was on the west coast by the ocean. Your post has my seal of approval.

Old 01-20-19, 10:13 AM
S
Originally Posted by Hal_S View Post
Also, many newer dishwashers heat the water to sterilizing temperatures that are high enough that you couldn't stand to hand wash.
True - mine does heat the water, so maybe overall a better clean.