long term storage of appliances

Old 01-30-19, 08:15 AM
L
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
long term storage of appliances

friend has a unique opportunity and is moving into a house rent free for a year. it has all the appliances in it. but after that year she gets kicked out for the next person

so she has a 2 year old washer, dryer, fridge

she's renting storage for some of her stuff but it just seems inadequate to toss stuff in that storage place given the 0 to 120 degrees its gonna be in there. plus wouldnt mice have a field day in there?

fridge door open/closed/off?

any and all ideas. she doesnt wanna sell them then have to try to find others in a year. these were donated to her

storage on site at the house is impossible.

Old 01-30-19, 08:34 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Throw a couple boxes of baking soda in the refrig /freezer!

Would also want to drain water from refrig and washer.

Mice would most likely prefer some nice clotting, not much to nest with in an appliance!

Old 01-30-19, 08:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
All of the appliances should be OK except for the fridge. With my rental houses I've noticed that used fridges that have not been used for several months seem to die either they don't work when taken out of storage or they die within 6 months. Many do OK in storage but because of the volume of fridges I rotate through the failure rate is very noticeable.

New fridges can sit in storage long term but one that's been used several years then spends months and months unplugged have a much higher rate of failure. We've started plugging in old fridges once a month and let them run for an hour and that seems to be enough to allow them to come out of storage working.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: