ROPER RT18AKXKQ01 refrigerator freezer drain clog

Old 03-04-19, 10:11 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
ROPER RT18AKXKQ01 refrigerator freezer drain clog

I have a Roper RT18AKXKQ01 refrigerator with a top freezer. Recently there is a leak on the inside of the refrigerator cabinet coming from the bottom of the freezer.

After examining the freezer and removed the freezer bottom liner, I see a sheet of dirty ice covering the bottom of the freezer cabinet.

I removed the sheet of dirty ice and eventually I was able to see the drain hole. The entire hole is frozen solid.

I tried using a hair dryer on it and it melted may be an inch of water on top but wouldn't get any deeper. I think I need something else, may be a squirt bottle with boiling water to squeeze down the hole? Then use a straw to remove the melted water? Is there a better way?

Question #2 is why did this happen? Is the drain hole suppose to freeze over? If it did does it mean it might do that again in a few weeks? Or is this caused by some debris went down the drain hole caused a partial blockage then it got worse and worse? Does it mean I need to use something like a electrician's fish tape to push down that hole until it bottoms to make sure whatever debris is cleared?

Question #3, any idea if the drip pan is removable from the front for this model? I have seen some videos showing you have to move the entire refrigerator out empty all it's content tip it forward or lay it down sideways to remove the drip pan, and others you just remove the front grille and slide out the tray. Is my model one of those you have to remove from the bottom?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 03-04-19, 11:20 PM
Received 488 Votes on 452 Posts
A very common situation. THe drain gets some krud in it, slows the drainage till it overflows.

You just need to leave it unplugged for a few days till it thaws out, get in there and clean out the krud and good to go!

Old 03-05-19, 07:55 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I can't leave it unplugged for a few days I need to keep all the stuff cool unless I bring in a second fridge to use in the mean time.

I can move the freezer content into a cooler with ice packs, and keep the fridge lower door closed with power off for an hour or so while I attempt another fix.

there is no way to defrost that hose using other mean that's quicker?

if I squirt hot water down it may fill the drain pan below, but do I need to lay the entire fridge down to empty it?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: