Maytag Bravos Washer - Transmission Bad?

Old 03-15-19, 06:57 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag Bravos Washer - Transmission Bad?

I have a 5-6 year old Maytag Bravos top load washer (Mod MVWX600XW0) that may have a bad transmission. The washer was running when we smelled a strong burning smell coming from the basement. The washer will now not spin.

Is there another possibility or should I order a replacement transmission? I saw one mention on another site of a thrust bearing?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Old 03-15-19, 07:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,330 Votes on 1,229 Posts
That's a belt driven machine. Take the belt off and see if you can manually spin the transmission in both directions.

Old 03-16-19, 08:52 AM
P
I removed the belt and found that the transmission turns in both directions. Am I correct in assuming this verifies a bad transmission?

Old 03-16-19, 09:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
That washer the first thing to check is the center pulley under the plastic cover. The center bolt will come out or loosen so the pulley wobbles. Put loctic on bolt and reinstall. Don't worry it cover has a groove worn in it. I have fixed many and never replaced cover. Next thing that goes out is the shifter. The gearcase will go out but usually the bearings are bad and noisy.
There is a tech sheet in was in washer either under console or taped to front inside.. have to lift top and get it that way. 2 screws in hinges (leave hinge there. pull top forward a 1/4 to 1/2 inch and lift top. If pulled to far forward top will not lift. If I remember right the service info you need is on page 4 in right bottom corner.

Old 03-16-19, 12:18 PM
P
I've accessed the tech sheet. The booklet is full of fault codes, no real troubleshooting info.

The bolt on the center pulley is tight. Is there something I can do to test the shifter and transmission? Does the ability of the transmission to spin in both directions tell me anything?

Thanks!

Old 03-16-19, 02:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Retired about 5 years ago and trying to remember about transmission.. Only reason I ever replaced transmission was for noise or a leak. The codes will tell you if shifter is bad. I know it is a little difficult to read code but important. The tech sheet if I remember right is like a small book.

Old 03-17-19, 05:24 AM
P
Does anyone know what would cause a strong burning smell from the washer? I donít see how a shifter failure would result in something burning up. Possible motor issue?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: