Maytag washing machine squeals on spin cycle

Old 03-16-19, 03:38 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Maytag washing machine squeals on spin cycle

I'm trying to troubleshoot a squeal on our Maytag washing machine. This is a top load model LAT8424AAE. I've dug into it as much as possible, but cannot determine where it's coming from. My best guess is the spindle on which the drum rotates. With the front cover off and in the spin cycle, once the squealing starts, I can grab the outer drum and give it a giggle and it goes away momentarily.

I've tilted the unit back and tightened the belts, but still no help. Unless someone has an idea, my next move would be to buy some lubricant and try to get some grease into the spindle area.

The washing machine works fine and no sounds until it hits the spin cycle. The noise comes and goes throughout the cycle. I'm fairly certain it's not the motor or pump.

Any thoughts?

Tks!

Old 03-17-19, 04:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Do not put any grease in there. Nothing you can reach needs grease, Replace the main drive belt And while you are under there take belt off water pump and turn pulley. It should turn freely and feel smooth. Easy way to check belt is to spray a little water on belt and try washer in spin. To get to belt lean washer back against wall.
belts are loose enough to take off without any tools.

Old 03-17-19, 10:33 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I took both belts off and checked...they look fine - clean and no breaks or cracks. I wonder now if it's the brake pads. The pump runs fine - smooth and quiet.

Old 03-17-19, 04:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
It takes a special tool to work on brake assy. They usually only make a noise on stopping from spin. Been a long time since I worked on your model but the next model year up from yours the tub assy lifted a little when going into spin. It would lift to get off brake pads.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: