Refrigerator Freezer Ball Bearings

Old 03-31-19, 08:44 AM
T
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
Refrigerator Freezer Ball Bearings

Doing a once a lifetime cleaning on my bottom drawer freezer mechanicals. The ball bearing glides have collected enough stuff over the years to make them a little tough/slow to pull out that I'm thinking of degreasing., cleaning and re-greasing them. Not sure what type of grease would be good for 0 degree temp.

Kinda same topic, I noticed my workbench drawer glides (out in garage) are also pretty gummy. I was able to clean them with carb cleaner but not sure what grease to use on them also. The old grease was sort of off white chunky stuff.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-19, 11:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
I would first look at what I already had in my shop. You'll need such a tiny amount and it's a low speed, low load application so I wouldn't go buy something special. You could use a coating of oil mainly to prevent corrosion but it will still lubricate. You could also use whatever grease you already have as most greases will still work at 0f. They will be thicker but they will still lubricate. A synthetic, if you already have it, would be good as many of them are more stable and don't thicken as much at colder temps.