GE monogram 36" gas range thinks gas is on, keeps trying to light.

Old 06-05-19, 08:31 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GE monogram 36" gas range thinks gas is on, keeps trying to light.

So I have a 36" GE Monogram range. 6 dual-flame gas burners.
All burners have their own gas knob, with a little light on each knob to signify which are in use.
When all of the burners are in the OFF position, the light on the knob of burner #1 is still on, and so the igniters on all 6 burners are sparking, trying to start the gas it thinks is flowing (but there's no heat... gas is off!). No burner starts, as the gas isn't on... igniters keep sparking continuously.
If I turn the gas on for #1, it lights and all igniters stop sparking as there is flame on the sensor.
Turning the gas on any other burner will obviously light that burner, but if #1 isn't lit, all burners keep sparking until #1 is turned on.

Is there a position sensor in the knob that makes the range think gas is flowing (and thus it must spark)? How do I get knob #1 to register 'off' when in the off position, so the stove doesn't spark continuously? I'm currently cutting power at the breaker box to get it to stop sparking when not in use.

Old 06-05-19, 09:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Going to need the full model number for that range. It may be down in the drawer area.
There is a switch on every gas valve that starts the spark module. They are not always easy to get to.

Old 06-07-19, 10:04 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sorted

model is zdp36n6hss
turns out it was the ignition switch, GE part WB24x10091. Next day delivery from Amazon was under $30.

Tip off for me was the switch was in the off position but it still thought the valve was open and was sending spark to the igniter.

removed all of the front knobs and the front control plate with a torx screwdriver.
there is a tiny cotter pin holding the switch on to the valve shaft. Easy swap one you get that pin off.
Thanks!

Old 06-08-19, 02:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Good job. Thanks for letting us know how you made out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: