How to calibrate Sub-Zero freezer thermostat?

Old 06-27-19, 11:06 AM
Received 11 Votes on 10 Posts
How to calibrate Sub-Zero freezer thermostat?

Sub-Zero side-by-side refrigerator/freezer model number "685/0 3". (Yes, there's a space between the 0 and the 3 on the label.)

The freezer has always been too cold by 5-6 degrees F. I set it at the maximum 5, and it cools down to 0 as measured by a fridge thermometer.

Mrs. Squirrel is annoyed that her ice cream is always frozen solid.

Is there a DIY way to re-calibrate the freezer's thermostat?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-19, 02:05 PM
Received 11 Votes on 10 Posts
I just seem to be the kind of guy who loves to answer his own questions. Here I go again.

Extensive Internet searching turned up absolutely nothing on calibrating the Sub-Zero fridge. This surprised me. I thought everything was out there somewhere.

As a former User Interface designer and developer, I thought about how I would provide a calibration function given the available pushbutton controls. Astonishingly, I guessed right the first time.
  1. Press Unit Off to turn off the fridge.
  2. Press and hold both temp up and temp down buttons for the freezer (or fridge if that's what you need to adjust).
  3. Press and release Unit On. Continue to hold temp up and temp down.
  4. Display will change to a calibration mode. Release temp buttons and use them to raise or lower the temp.
  5. Power cycle the unit.

Mrs. Squirrel now reports that her ice cream is perfect right out of the freezer and she doesn't have to wait for it to soften. Freezer still reads 5 on the display, but the thermometer now reads 10 instead of 0.