Freezer/Fridge Warm

Old 09-28-19, 08:36 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Freezer/Fridge Warm

I've got a Whirlpool side by side, ED5KVEXVQ01. Both sides are too warm.

The compressor is cycling. It comes on every 3 minutes or so. Stays on for about 10 seconds and then shuts off. I took the cover off inside the freezer and there is no buildup of ice.

We had a lot of lightning here yesterday. I came down and found the stove clock needed to be reset this morning, but strangely that was the only clock that needed to be reset. And I'm pretty sure the compressor was cycling before that clock started flashing so I'm not sure if there is any correlation.

Low refrigerant? Circuit board?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Old 09-28-19, 01:06 PM
M
Received 293 Upvotes on 263 Posts
Sounds like the compressor is overheating and the thermal trip keeps shutting it down.

Is the condenser/compressor fan on? It should be.
Are the vents clean?
Are the condenser coils clean?

Could be a number of things compressor itself, start device, capacitor etc etc
I doubt it is the board because it is trying to turn the compressor on.

If all the above are OK then unplug the unit and let the compressor cool down for an hour or so and give it another try.

If it overheats again it could be a bad start device, a bad compressor or a bad capacitor (unlikely but possible)

Old 09-29-19, 10:31 AM
F
Yes, condenser is clean. Fan is running. I unplugged for over an hour and it just does the same thing.

Is that a breaker on the start device?

I opened up the back and pulled that unit off after I ran the compressor. I heard the contacts close again once it cooled down. Any way to test that ? How would I check if the compressor is pulling too much current?

Old 09-29-19, 11:10 AM
F
Ok, so I ohm checked the compressor circuits and got approx. 10, 6 & 4. So that should be good. I checked resistance on the capacitor. Its starts relatively low and keeps climbing up into the Mega ohms. So, from what I've seen on youtube, that should be good. I plugged in the fridge with the relay off the compressor, and it stayed on. Had 120V at both top pins.

Plug the relay back onto the compressor and kicks off after 10 seconds. If I sit there and listen, a minute or two after (with fridge unplugged) I can hear the relay click again.

Bad relay?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: