Adjusting arm on ice maker

Old 10-08-19, 08:51 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adjusting arm on ice maker

I recently replaced the ice maker in my Maytag bottom-freezer refrigerator. The ice maker won’t shut off unless I do it manually - it clicks off only when I raise the arm to a horizontal position. Otherwise, the maker continues to make ice until it spills out of the tray. How can I adjust the arm so the shutoff point is somewhere between vertical and horizontal?

Also, the taste of the ice is a little off compared to the old maker.

Old 10-08-19, 09:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Most of the bale arms on ice makers are not adjustable. I have had to bend them slightly to make them work better. If you do try bending it..... it must be held with pliers so that switch doesn't snap off inside the ice maker.

If you don't have a water filter inside the fridge..... install your own on the water line.
Makes a big difference in the taste and clarity of the cubes.

Old 10-09-19, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
On some ice makers you can swap out the control arm on the new unit with the one from the old one.
Depending how much shorter the new arm is you may be able to bend it as suggested.

I have the same problem but was unable to swap arms.
I'm going to try a hack to add some kind of appengage my slightly too short arm to fix this.

Old 10-11-19, 01:58 PM
C
I would have to get a new arm since I no longer have the old dispenser. I’ve also seen attachable flaps on appliance parts sites.

What would cause the shutoff point to be so high in the movement of the arm?

Old 10-11-19, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Sometimes the shutoff point height is different with different bins. The universal replacement usually but not always is correct. That piece that snaps on is for deep ice bins or bins that serve a dispenser. It should do what you want.

The other thing is..... is the arm close to the right point ?
If you lock the arm up to shut the ice maker off is it horizontal ?

Old 10-11-19, 05:42 PM
C
Yes, the shutoff point is when the arm is horizontal, and that’s a couple of inches above the edge of the ice bin.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: