Winterize Washing Machine

Old 11-03-19, 05:54 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Winterize Washing Machine

I may have to leave my Gibson front-loader till spring, wondering how to get all the water out.

If I take the drain hose down and lay it on the floor then run the pump a minute will that empty all the water out from the pump etc.?

Or maybe take the water hoses off then pour a little RV antifreeze in then run the pump?

Thanks

Old 11-03-19, 08:14 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
Check the manual.

Mine (Amana top loader) has instructions for winterizing: Turn off water and disconnect inlet hoses, run Rinse/Drain cycle for 30 seconds, add 1 quart of RV antifreeze in the tub, and run Rinse/Drain cycle 30 seconds.

Mine is in my vacation home that I shut down every winter. To make that easier, I have installed a tee and boiler drain at the bottom of the drain hose. When winterizing I shut off the water, disconnect and drain the inlet hoses, open the outlet drain, drain by gravity then run the rinse/drain cycle for a few seconds, close the drain and add RV antifreeze, run the rinse drain cycle for 30 seconds. In the spring I drain the antifreeze and it measures almost exactly as much as I put in, so I think there are no low spots or pockets that do not drain by gravity. (I think it says to run the Rinse/Drain cycle rather than a Drain only cycle to make sure the inlet valves have opened and released any water trapped in them.)

Draining yours by lowering the drain hose, draining by gravity and/or running a Drain cycle and then adding antifreeze should work. If you keep the drain hose down when adding antifreeze you might see it draining out and then you would know that all parts have been cleared of water.

Old 11-04-19, 03:55 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
(I think it says to run the Rinse/Drain cycle rather than a Drain only cycle to make sure the inlet valves have opened and released any water trapped in them.)
Okay, never would have thought of that.

Thanks very much

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 11-04-19, 11:24 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
I found out the hard way on a previous washer. Fortunately I was able to secure a replacement valve assembly at no cost from a discarded washer at the local transfer station (dump).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: