Washer walks

Old 11-14-19, 09:15 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Washer walks

Hello:

I have a top loader, Kenmore top loader that walks around on the spin cycle. When it does that, it spills water from the top of the unit on the floor. I’ve had it looked at (the tech checked it over very carefully). Springs are ok and it does it less with a very small load or if I run it on delicate cycle (spins slower). The tech said the subfloor is likely the culprit and reinforcing that might stop the problem. To test that, I took it outside on a level concrete floor and in that setting, it never tossed water out. So, I’m pretty sure it’s the subfloor.

Now, I cannot access the subfloor from underneath it. So, what I would like to do is put a piece of either plywood or ? Under the units to see if I can stiffen the floor enough to prevent the issue. So, what material and thickness is warranted and how should it be attached.

I have determined the existing floor is level and I cannot feel any bounce when I walk to kinda jump up and down on it. Also, I have those expensive elastomer foot pads that fit within the four legs and they did not resolve the issue, although it did lessen the amount of water coming out.

Old 11-14-19, 01:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
My mother had a washer that would walk and even sometimes to the extent that it unplugged itself. It was my job to run down into the basement and ride that bad boy so it would more/less stay in place.

I'd try screwing a piece of 3/4" plywood down over the existing floor. Assuming you have a drier setting next to it I'd cut/install a piece big enough to go under both of them.

Old 11-15-19, 05:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Post model # and can help. Model # is located under lid in back, Hard to see but will look like 110.XXXXXX

Old 11-17-19, 07:09 AM
S
Should I glue and screw the plywood to the subfloor? Any idea on the fastener spacing?

Old 11-17-19, 09:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I would think screwing it down would be sufficient and that way if it ever needs to be removed it won't be a big hassle. I'm a painter not a carpenter but I'd think the screws should be about every 8" along the perimeter and 1' apart along the studs in the middle.i

Old 11-26-19, 07:10 AM
S
Worked

Well, I ultimately decided to glue and screw the additional 5/8” thick plywood to the existing plywood (I removed the vinyl plank floor). The results were amazing, no walking and far less vibrations.

I did discover an additional issue that I “cured” in a simple way. I have a Kenmore model 110.20942991. At the mixing valve, there are two hoses that exit the unit. The larger one feeds a central item that feeds the water into the top of the tub. The second smaller hose feeds the top dispensing unit label “fabric softener”. It seems that smaller hose is getting water fed into it during the spin cycle. While the hose itself is fine, where it connects to the bottom of the softener, I think it’s been leaking there. I confirmed that by temporarily plugging that hose during the spin cycle. Since we don’t do the softener thing, I decided to permanently create a plug with a clamp to eliminate this issue, but the water pressure was too great, so I ended up just pulling the two wire plug off the solenoid valve. My question, after all that, am I doing any harm to the unit?

Old 11-26-19, 03:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Wire off should not be a problem. If a newer washer you might get a error code.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: