Plastic film on stainless steel?

Old 04-29-23, 09:33 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Plastic film on stainless steel?

Hi all! While doing some deep cleaning today, I tried to remove some cloudy residue around the handles of our Whirlpool stainless steel fridge. I was unable to so I removed the door handles to get at it better.

Upon doing that, I started to raise some plastic film with nothing more than soapy water and a sponge. Now I'm concerned because it looks like I can go on and on with this plastic film.

I have a hard time believing it's the original film (fridge is only a few years old), but I have a hard time believing it can be anything else. I'm assuming stainless steel usually wouldn't have anything like this that can be removed?

Do I just keep going?

Old 04-29-23, 12:22 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,323 Upvotes on 2,066 Posts
Polished stainless steel is often covered in a thin layer of protective plastic. The brushed finish is surprisingly delicate and easy to scratch so the plastic is usually left on all through manufacturing and not removed until in place in the customer's home. Look on the bright side. It should be squeaky clean and new looking underneath.

Old 04-29-23, 12:26 PM
E
Thanks Dane. I just have no clue if this is intended to stay on or be removed - have a hard time believing we wouldn't have removed it but it is around the handles. It's pretty noticeable and super time consuming to remove and not sure I want to proceed. I'm sure if it is this layer you mentioned, the UV rays have gotten to it over the years. We have never noticed this before and now it's super annoying!

Old 04-29-23, 12:38 PM
E

Top picture is what the freezer handle looks like and this is what caused me to pull the handles off. The top picture is what the fridge doors currently look like. Now I'm not sure what to do 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Old 04-30-23, 03:20 AM
Received 1,211 Upvotes on 1,099 Posts
the plastic is usually left on all through manufacturing and not removed until in place in the customer's home
​​​​​​​It comes off!

Old 04-30-23, 06:04 AM
M
Received 302 Upvotes on 272 Posts
I would contact Whirlpool just to be sure about it.

Try warming it up with a hair dryer.
Be careful to not overheat it.
Should make it easier to remove.
Then check for any residue if there is I would clean it with isopropyl alcohol or whatever they say in the manual.

Old 04-30-23, 07:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,323 Upvotes on 2,066 Posts
The film can be more difficult to remove with age or if it's a room that gets some sun exposure. But, some fridges may intend for the plastic to remain to help offer "no fingerprints". But, if your plastic has started coming off... your committed and might as well take it all off so it has a uniform appearance.

Old 04-30-23, 03:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
The glue from the protective coating can be almost impossible to remove after several years.

Old 03-18-24, 06:06 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
I have the same problem with a whirlpool French door fridge

My whirlpool wrf767SDHZ200 is peeling after 3 years I contacted whirlpool they refused to help

You can see where itís peeling

Old 03-18-24, 08:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts

It's the fingerprint resistant coating that is peeling. Unfortunately I don't see any manufactures standing behind the finish. Samsung has a class action suite for it's failed coatings.

What is a Fingerprint-Resistant Finish?
Fingerprint-resistant finishes are a very hard, permanent coating, much like the finish coat on a brand-new vehicle. The finish is made to shed oils and greases that are inherent to fingerprints. It also protects from spills of sticky beverages and foods. Fingerprint-resistant finishes are available for refrigerators, dishwashers, ovens, and laundry appliances.

The History of This Finish
Fingerprint-resistant appliance finishes have evolved over the past several years. Initially, there were self-applied coatings to put on your existing appliances to prevent fingerprints and smudges. While at-home applications were popular for a while, consumers wanted an easier solution. Over time, manufacturers started applying the coating at the factory to make things easier. Today, you can find fingerprint-resistant finishes on most stainless-steel appliances.

• Maintain Clean and Sleek Appearance: Fingerprint-resistant surfaces help your appliances retain a clean and polished look, even with regular use. Say goodbye to constant cleaning and enjoy a sleek kitchen that always looks its best.
  • Minimize Smudges and Marks: The special coating on fingerprint-resistant stainless steel appliances reduces the visibility of smudges and marks, making them less noticeable compared to traditional stainless steel finishes.
  • Easy to Clean and Maintain: Cleaning fingerprint-resistant appliances is a breeze. A simple wipe with a soft, damp cloth is often all that's needed to remove any smudges or spills, saving you time and effort.
  • Durable and Long-Lasting: Fingerprint-resistant stainless steel appliances are built to withstand everyday wear and tear. The protective coating not only minimizes fingerprints but also enhances the durability of the appliances, ensuring they look and perform well for years.
  • Resistant to Corrosion and Rust: Stainless steel is naturally resistant to corrosion and rust, and the fingerprint-resistant coating adds an extra layer of protection, making the appliances even more durable in humid or moisture-prone environments.
  • Modern and Timeless Aesthetics: The sleek and modern appearance of stainless steel complements various kitchen styles, from contemporary to traditional. It provides a timeless look that adds value to your kitchen.
  • Increases the Resale Value of Your Home: Upgrading your kitchen with fingerprint-resistant stainless steel appliances can significantly increase the resale value of your home. Homebuyers often consider these stylish and durable appliances as a desirable feature.

Keeping your kitchen appliances clean and smudge-free has never been easier, thanks to fingerprint-resistant finishes. These innovative coatings require minimal effort and fewer cleaning products, allowing you to maintain a pristine kitchen without the hassle of constant scrubbing. Let's explore the simple and effective cleaning process for your fingerprint-resistant appliances.
  • Gentle Cleaning With Microfiber: To clean your fingerprint-resistant appliance on a regular basis, all you need is a soft microfiber cloth. Gently wipe down the surface to remove any fingerprints, smudges, or light spills. The smooth and resistant finish of the appliance ensures that most marks come off effortlessly with a quick wipe.
  • Soap and Water for Stubborn Messes: For tougher messes or more stubborn stains, create a simple cleaning solution by mixing mild dish soap with warm water. Dampen your microfiber cloth with soapy water and gently clean the affected areas. Avoid using excessive force or abrasive materials, as the fingerprint-resistant finish can be damaged.
  • Drying With Care: After cleaning with soap and water, be sure to dry the appliance thoroughly. Use a clean, dry microfiber cloth and wipe in the general direction of the brushed finish to avoid leaving streaks or water spots. Proper drying maintains the spotless appearance of your fingerprint-resistant appliance.
  • Avoid Harsh Cleaning Agents: While fingerprint-resistant appliances are designed to withstand everyday use, it's essential to avoid using harsh cleaning agents that may damage the finish. Avoid using abrasive scouring pads or cloths that may scratch the surface.

TIP: Never use bleach, vinegar, or metal cleaners, as these substances can deteriorate the protective coating and compromise the fingerprint-resistant properties.

Thanks to Queen City Appliance

Last edited by PJmax; 03-18-24 at 08:27 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: