Fridge keeps icing up causing fan noise, freezing water line

Old 07-21-23, 05:02 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fridge keeps icing up causing fan noise, freezing water line

I have a Samsung RS275ACBP. This only happens in the warmer months, I think because the humidity gets higher (I'm in NJ). Circulation fan starts chattering, presumably b/c ice is building up and blades are hitting ice.
Also, the water reservoir freezes... it's near bottom by crisper drawer.
When I run defrost mode several times in a row, fan noise goes away and the water reservoir defrosts, but the ice builds up again after a day or so. I don't seem to have a problem with water pooling at the bottom, as some people have.
Is this a defrost sensor issue? Why only in the warmer months- is outside humidity a factor?
I have searched youtube with little help, as I can't find anything on my model fridge.

Thank You for any help! This is driving my family nuts!

Old 07-24-23, 07:44 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Now for some reason the ice maker is not working? Any ideas?
Thanks folks

Old 07-24-23, 07:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 89 Upvotes on 82 Posts
You'll find there are lots of Internet search results and videos about Samsung refrigerator/freezers icing-up and the ice-maker stopping to work. It appears Samsung has a major problem with this.

It seems the problem could be the
water inlet valve doesn't seat properly and leaks, which the leaked water then freezes. Or the temperature regulator is not adjusted correctly or is actually faulty. Lack of lots of food in the refrigerator needed to absorb cold can cause the reservoir to take-on the cold instead and freeze-up.

I'd look for a faulty water inlet valve assembly as the likely culprit.

Last edited by Kooter; 07-24-23 at 08:07 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 07-24-23, 02:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,155 Upvotes on 3,731 Posts
The ice maker requires 5f - 10f to work properly.
If your evaporator coil is icing up in a day or two.... either the door is being kept open too long or there is a major leak around the door gasket(s). The defrost cycle can't compensate fast enough for major air leaks.

You can check the door gaskets by using a dollar bill between the seal and the mullion.
There should be a slight drag when pulling the bill out.
Try in places all around the door.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: