Problem with door latch of Panasonic microwave (model nnsn676s)

Old 04-23-14, 06:14 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Problem with door latch of Panasonic microwave (model nnsn676s)

Hi,

I have a Panasonic Microwave (model nnsn676s) that has the following problem: When I close the door, sometimes it seems it doesn't "latch properly" (although the door IS closed shut and the latch does seem to be correctly engaged) and so the microwave won't start because it thinks the door isn't closed (properly).

The solution is to open the door, and slam it harder, and then to start it. It is as if something needs to be adjusted or fine tuned so that is doesn't think it is not properly closed, then in fact it is.

I don't think this problem is specific to my model, and I am almost certain others have experienced the same problem. This microwave is not very old (5.5 years old) and we only use it maybe once per two weeks.. definitely not heavy users (and NO children use it).

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-14, 06:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,201 Votes on 1,111 Posts
5.5 years old is technically not old but appliances are only designed with a limited lifetime.

There are several micro switches that get activated when the door is closed. It's going to require you to take the microwave oven apart to look at the mechanical interaction.

Unplug the unit prior to servicing.

Old 04-23-14, 09:03 PM
C
Ok, I fixed the problem. For anybody else who may be having the same trouble, here are the steps I took:

1- The inside mechanism for the latch
- Remove the rear cover (4 special-screw in the back, and one screw on one side) [See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWVbHDMbl7Q]
- Unscrew the latch - 2 screws [See above video]
- In order to REMOVE the latch and clean it properly, I managed to remove the 2 micro-switch (take a picture to know which one goes where) and unplugged 2 wires
- From there, I was able to clean the gunk with a Q-tip, remove the moving parts and grease them up a little bit
- Reassemble everything

2- The 2 hooks in the door
- Remove inside door cover [See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIdT4kS3noY]
- Remove the hooks (be careful with the spring)
- Clean the hooks as well as the hinges that "receive" the hook with a Q-tip
- Add some grease to the hooks and the hinges
- Reassemble everything

This was enough for me, but I noticed that the big plastic part that is the latch show signs of wear, as the 2 hooks rub against it (plastic on plastic). I don't think that this is problematic at the moment, but eventually, as the plastic gets used, perhaps the latch will need to be replaced. See attached picture (the red square) for more details.

Name:  IMG_20140423_211820 (Large).jpg
Views: 33814
Size:  25.8 KB

I hope this can help others.

Ross White voted this post useful.
Old 04-23-14, 09:40 PM
Group Moderator
Nothing like plastic in a high friction area.

Thanks for the helpful information.

And as always...... be sure to unplug the appliance before servicing.

Old 12-30-14, 08:20 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fix Panasonic Microwave Door Slam Problem Without Tools

I have Panasonic NN-SN69605 stainless-steel microwave oven. Date of manufacture is April 2012. I don't think I've owned it more than 18 months.

I had to slam it before the latch would "catch". Quite annoying.

Fix: So I sprayed a contact cleaner & lubricant (Radio Snack) in and around the door hooks. Next I and worked the latches up and down. The vertical action got a lot smoother after just a few seconds. I had realized that the most likely problem could be gunk on the springs within the microwave door. Frequent use can cause such a problem within a short time. The door hook holes are rather large, inviting all kinds of trouble from heating and reheating the various culinary delights. It's no longer a problem for me. Try the fix for yourself and read the news.

Old 12-30-14, 10:00 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the additional information. I can see by the staggering amount of page views that this is a hot topic. This thread will always remain available in our searchable archives.

If you have any questions on your particular appliance please feel free to start a new thread where we can help you directly.

Old 01-25-15, 08:15 PM
C
It has been 9 months since my original post, and the problem has come back.

Since I doubted that goo" could have accumulated in such a short period of time, I opened the cover again, and found what is most likely the problem (and what fixed it last time).

I forgot to take a picture of the actual fix, so please refer to the attached picture of my first "jerry-rig" fix (that didn't work - but you can appreciate the usage of my mecanos from my childhood to understand my explanation:

Name:  Temp MW fix.jpg
Views: 32552
Size:  44.0 KB

From the above picture:
1- As you close the door, the hooks apply a pressure on the long black plastic part (green vertical box on picture) that holds the micro-switches (that detects if the door is properly closed or not).

2- The pressure on the plastic part BENDS the white metal part (yellow rectangle on my picture) that holds the plastic part. The bending of this part is the problem, is it does not always come back into place completely, which makes the black plastic part a little too apart from the door, which in turns make it seems the door is not completely closed

3- As you can see, I tried to add mecano parts to hold the white metal part in place and prevent it from bending, but that did not work.

4- What did work, I simply wedged a piece of wood between the black plastic part and a metal box (not seen on picture). In other words, where you see the red rectangle with a red X on it, I wedged a piece of wood. This keeps the black plastic part in place when closing the door.

Ideally, I would have liked to also wedge a piece of wood at the bottom of the black plastic part, so that it absorbs the shock uniformly. My current solution probably means that in the long run, the plastic part will possibly bend at the bottom. But for the time being, it works.

Ross White voted this post useful.
Old 05-12-15, 06:22 PM
C
Wink Wood Wedge?

Hi CU,
Thank you for your post. I have the same problem.
I am having trouble discerning where the wedge goes.
Is it pressing the black plastic switch assembly foreward? What does it contact front and back?
Thank you!
Mike

Old 05-12-15, 08:27 PM
C
Hi, yes, it is pressing the black plastic part (identified with a green rectangle on my picture) forward (toward the front of the microwave, where you stand). On the other side, it is wedged against a metal box. The wood is exactly where my red rectangle X and box is. Post a picture and I'll draw it for you if it is not clear.

I have not had the problem since my post below, 4 months ago.

Old 03-02-16, 05:53 PM
J
3D Print a Fix

Message deleted due to forum rule enforcement.

Last edited by JohnAbbot; 03-02-16 at 08:30 PM. Reason: removed
Old 03-02-16, 07:06 PM
C
Nice, do you want to share your part model?

Old 03-02-16, 07:15 PM
J
I have tried to. But "shadeladie" keeps deleting the link. I do not know what his problem is. I have PM'd him and he has not responded.

If you click on his name in the "last edited" line of my post it will take you to a version history where you can see the prior versions of my post which include a direct link to the 3D part.

It would also help if you PM'd him and asked him to stop deleting the link too. He has done it twice now.

Old 03-02-16, 07:21 PM
Group Moderator
Shadeladie is a supermod. She removed your link as posts to other blogs sites aren't allowed here in the public forums. You can send that link in a PM to CanadianUser. Click on his name and a drop down box will give you the PM choice.

Old 08-13-16, 05:04 AM
H
Problem with door latch

Thanks for your informative thread. I have a problem within this door latch that houses the two switches.

My problem is related to the rocker mechanism that activates the lower switch. It has become loose (lost its tension). Don't know if there is some sort of spring that has come off and gone missing but it will not reset itself over the lower switch to deactivate it.

Any help would be appreciated

Old 08-05-17, 12:58 PM
A
Can anyone help with this issue

Hi,

Can Canadianuser or Johnabbot (or anyone else) provide any guidance on solving this problem. The 3d printed part reference or any other tips will be greatly appreciated.

I tried to manually adjust the parts after opening the microwave but the door latch problem has not gone away.

Thanks?