Microwave oven not turning on: repair or replace?

Old 06-10-16, 11:35 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Microwave oven not turning on: repair or replace?

I have a Frigidaire over-the-range microwave oven (model FFMV162LSA) that is dead. It would not turn on. I checked the fuse, it is still working.

At first, after I disconnected the power plug for awhile (many minutes) then re-plug the power cord, it seemed to power on again. But when I pressed any button on the control panel, it died. Now it basically would not turn on; any function (including fan, light, etc) is not working.

Question: can somebody give me a point to the right direction, if repairing is feasible. I am concerned that calling a repairman would cost almost as getting a new device. Is this correct? Insight into replace or repair would also be appreciated.

Wirawan

Old 06-27-16, 11:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Sorry I missed this thread.

Microwave repairs are not easy to accomplish. From what you are describing it sounds like the control board is defective as it controls everything.

That board runs around $150.

Is it repairable... yes but if you aren't experienced in any type of electronic repair it may not be a DIY repair.

If you plan to fix it yourself you would need a VOM (test meter) and a service manual. They're available online for around $12-$15. I can point you in the right direction.

Old 06-28-16, 03:56 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Not worth repair for the reason's Pete mentioned above.

Old 07-10-16, 08:56 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks folks for the reply. One more question. If I replace the microwave with the same brand or others, do I expect to have to rework all the mounting on the back of the microwave? Assuming of course that the body dimensions are basically identical (width, height, depth).

Wirawan

Old 07-10-16, 09:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Yes... every manufacturer uses a different mounting system.

Old 07-11-16, 03:29 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Even the same brand and size. The mounting systems have changed over the years. What used to be a full metal plate lagged against the wall, now only uses a small metal strip at the lower portion of the wall. Even the hole location have changed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: