Microwave light keeps turning on and off by itself

Old 01-20-17, 10:35 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Microwave light keeps turning on and off by itself

My over the range Samsung microwave is now turning its own light on and off. It's not the interior light but rather the light underneath so I can see the stove more clearly. The light has two settings and the microwave is cycling through the settings at varying speeds. I have tried unplugging it for the night but it started again in the morning. I have checked the cable and the outlet and both seem fine. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 01-20-17, 12:15 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
I'll venture a guess that the button controlling the light has failed, especially if it is a membrane type keypad and not touchscreen. You may be able to replace the keypad. Post the model number and we can try to check.

I assume you've tried pressing the button a few times to see if you can clear the problem. That might help for a while.

Old 01-20-17, 12:39 PM
D
Thank you

Thanks for thinking of that. The model number is SEH8165W.
I have tried all sorts of things but nothing is working. If there is a video that shows how to replace the panel. I have managed to take it apart twice to fix the SE error code and the latch on the door with videos.

Old 01-20-17, 05:25 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
It seems replacement keypads are available for $30 or so. SearsPartsDirect says they have it as do other part sources. Fairly simple to replace. Unplug. remove top grill. Remove single screw above control panel to remove the panel. Take pic and disconnect wires. The keypad is stuck to the front of the control panel and has to be peeled off and replaced with the new one. Then reverse steps to reassemble.

No guarantee that that will fix the problem, however, but buttons failing on that keypad is a fairly common issue. Before you buy a new one and replace it though, you may want to try unplugging the flexible connector from the keypad to the control panel, and gently clean the contacts with an eraser and some alcohol.

Old 01-20-17, 05:59 PM
D
Thanks

Thank you so much for all the advice. I will give it a go!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: