Kenmore Canister Vacuum poor suction

Old 04-06-17, 06:13 PM
A
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Question Kenmore Canister Vacuum poor suction

I have a Kenmore Canister Vacuum model 721.21295. I have noticed poor suction since bits and pieces are left behind on the bare floor. The bag is not full. With the power brush accessory (Kenmore calls it Power Mate) removed from the wand, when I turn on the vacuum, I feel good suction at the wand end. Thinking that the issue lies with the Power Mate, I disassembled it. There is no clog, and the brush and belt are fine too. What could be the issue?

Old 04-07-17, 04:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Model # did not work, Sounds like you still have a clog in hose or end.

Old 04-07-17, 05:03 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Yes, double check for a leak in the hose and vacuum brush. If I can get access to both ends of the hose I drop a golf or steel pinball down the hose to make sure it's clear. Don't try a ping pong ball as that may be too light to easily fall through (learned that the hard way).

Old 04-07-17, 06:36 PM
A
>> Model # did not work
I'm assuming you mean you could not locate this model #. I copied it right from the cover of the user manual. Click this link for an online version https://www.manualslib.com/manual/56...721-21295.html

>> double check for a leak in the hose and vacuum brush
With the vacuum running I cupped my fingers around the hose and the steel wand, traversing slowly along its length and around the vacuum brush accessory. I did not detect any suction where it shouldn't be, meaning no leak.

>> If I can get access to both ends of the hose I drop a golf or steel pinball down the hose to make sure it's clear.
I took apart the hose and the wand. I could see straight through the wand. The hose proved to be somewhat tricky, since it has a bend at the handle part. The golf ball is too big to go through. Finally, I fed a plumbing auger at the handle end of the hose and it come out clean at the other end without snagging anything.

What should be my next step?

Old 04-08-17, 02:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
If there is no leak or clog anyplace than motor must be getting weak.

Old 04-08-17, 09:14 AM
A
Then it is time for a new vacuum.

Old 04-08-17, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
I have one vacuum that almost loses all it's suction when the filter gets dirty. After I clean it, it's back to normal. Just something else to consider before you get a new one.

Old 04-09-17, 06:31 PM
A
Shadeladie, thanks for the tip. I didn't even know about the filter because it is not something that is changed with the bag for this model. Then I read the owner's manual, which says one should wash it if dirty. It didn't look dirty but since I had never washed it ever, I did wash it. I also changed the bag, I figured it could only help. I felt a strong vacuum at the wand end with the brush assembly disconnected. However, once the brush assembly is in place, the vacuum is weak. I ran my palm and fingers over joints and junction points of the brush assembly to check for a leak and didn't encounter any. I had previously written that when I took apart the brush assembly to access its insides, I didn't find any blockage. I remain stumped.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: