Central vacuum - Hose stopped working - FIXED

Old 04-11-19, 07:31 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Central vacuum - Hose stopped working - FIXED

As I was typing my question, I investigated a little more and found the solution. I thought I'd post this nevertheless so that other can benefit from my findings.

Hi,

I have a central vacuum and this week I noticed that I couldn't get it to work anymore. After some testing, I discovered that:
1- The central unit works fine
2- If I use another hose it works fine
3- With the current (non-working)hose, if I pull it out a bit and twist it, it works correctly.

I also discovered that there are 2 metal contacts at the top of the hole in the wall, and shorting those 2 contacts with a paper-clip will start the vacuum. I can conclude that my hose is no longer shorting those 2 pins.

Using a multi-meter to test continuity I was able to determine that the on-off switch on the hose wasn't shorting the 2 metal plates at the end of the hose. I opened the handle where the on/off switch is and was able to confirm that the on-off switch was working properly.

I then opened the other end (the one that goes in the wall and found the issue: One of the 2 wires wasn't connected to the metal plate anymore. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the hose when the problematic end was opened, but here is a photo of how it looks at the other end and it was that metal "clip" that was separated from the wire.

Name:  IMG_20190411_194911.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  3.14 MB

Old 04-14-19, 05:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Good ob never know when it will help somebody down road.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: