New Propane Tank Leaking When Valve Opened

Old 06-24-19, 07:18 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Propane Tank Leaking When Valve Opened

Hi,

I just swapped out an empty Blue Rhino tank for a full one. After connecting it to the regulator (nice and tight), when I open the valve on the tank - **whoosh** - propane comes blasting out at full force from the tank. If I disconnect the regulator and try opening the tank, nothing happens.

What is the probable cause for this? A bad regulator or a bad tank?

Old 06-24-19, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
"Nice and tight" would signify a regulator with a nut that gets tightened as opposed to a quick release fitting. If it is a nut type fitting it should purge propane with the regulator unattached.

It's pretty common to get a defective valve on a refurb tank.....especially Blue Rhino.
I would take the tank back for exchange.

Old 06-25-19, 04:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
You say "whoosh" but didn't tell us where or even if it is leaking. Anytime you connect a new device there is the possibility of a "whoosh" at first as the regulator and hoses get filled.

Old 06-25-19, 03:26 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The "whoosh" feels like it is coming from either the back of valve on the tank or where the regulator and the value connect. And by whoosh, I mean a steady flow of propane gas whooshing out (pee-yew) that doesn't stop until I close the valve.

I sent a note to Blue Rhino this morning and they seem to agree this is a potentially a defective valve, so I will need to go swap it out for another one.

Old 06-25-19, 03:32 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
It is possible the gas is escaping around the valve stem. You could feel it blowing out anywhere around the knob and you'd certainly smell it. Since it's a Blue Rhino you should certainly exchange it for a fresh tank hopefully at no charge to you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: