Old 01-05-24, 05:04 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Degreaser for range hood blower?

Hey Gang,

I'm hoping someone might have some advice. I have this range hood

Inside of which is this blower

It's been in there a long time and recently it's been very loud. I'm quite certain that it's just caked in grease. It doesn't sound like any bearings are shot or the hamster wheel is out of balance.... also the sound largely goes away after running for some time (after the grease warms up)

I'd like to give it a good deep cleaning but I don't want to use a solvent that may damage any of the motor components. These blowers cost an absolute fortune and I don't want to replace it.

I guess I'm looking for a degreaser that can be sprayed right into the motor? One person recommended that I soak it in contact cleaner but that basically evaporates on contact so I don't know if it would do anything to dissolve grease. Another suggested that I use brake parts cleaner but I don't know if this will be safe on electrical components.

Does anyone have any experience with this and know what I can soak this with to dissolve the grease without damaging the unit? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks all

Last edited by PJmax; 01-06-24 at 02:07 PM. Reason: added pics from links
Old 01-06-24, 02:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,973 Upvotes on 3,566 Posts
I choose to post the motor end view of the blower.
To clean the blower unit correctly... the three bolts should be removed and the motor and blower wheels taken out of the housing. The wheels should be removed from the motor shaft and soaked in a degreaser. That same degreaser should be used to clean the housing. I've never actually sprayed the motor with a lot of degreaser. It could be done but drowning the motor will also remove the grease from the motor bearings.

I use Spray 9 when cleaning units. Comes in spray bottles and bulk gallons. Be sure to price shop as the price here has been high. Pine Sol is another good choice.

Spray 9

Old 01-06-24, 06:03 PM
T
PJmax Thanks for the advice.

Yeah.... I am concerned that degreasing the motor itself would remove necessary lubricant from the motor bearings. I thought I might try to degrease it, then re-grease motor bearings after, but this is a procedure I've never performed.

I've also wondered, if I can find just a replacement motor at a reasonable price... perhaps I could replace just that and clean the housing and wheel. I don't know if these motors are standard.

Is this the Spray Nine degreaser you use?
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/s...w.ds#store=209

Apologies in advance if I'm slow to respond. For some reason I'm not getting email notifications even though I'm subscribed to the thread.

Old 01-06-24, 09:33 PM
T
I suppose there's this warning

https://i.postimg.cc/sDm19Ryd/1tag.jpg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: