How to disable and remove my doorbell??

Old 02-19-16, 12:52 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to disable and remove my doorbell??

I want to remove the doorbell chime that was put in by the builder on a wall. I would also like to remove the front door button and replace both of these with wireless door bell kit. So can I just remove the chime box and cap the wires and push them back inside the wall and patch and paint? Do I need to do anything at the transformer that is installed in the closet behind the wall of the doorbell chime ? Is this the transformer for the doorbell since I also have one located in the garage too where my lighted house number is attached to and is opposite the wall of the main fuse breaker box that is located outside? Please advise on how to proceed. Thank you.

Name:  0219161254e.jpg
Views: 15005
Size:  28.5 KBName:  0219161219f.jpg
Views: 14959
Size:  37.1 KB

Old 02-19-16, 01:35 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
You can just disconnect the wires from the transformer and leave it as-is. If you also want to remove the transformer, remove the box cover it is mounted to, unhook the line voltage wires and cap them with wirenuts, replace the cover with a blank face plate. Note the wires inside the junction box are 120V (electrocution risk), so make sure the circuit breaker is off before opening the box.

Old 02-19-16, 01:41 PM
J
So I remove the 2 wires from the transformer and also the 2 wires from the door chime as well and push the 2 wires from the door chime back into the wall and I can then patch and paint that spot? Do I need to put electrical tape around the 2 wires disconnected from the transformer and the 2 wires I disconnect from the door chime? Also for the front door button I can just disconnect the wires there and push those back into the wall as well? Do I need to cap those wires as well?

I don't think it is necessary to remove the actual transformer since it is hidden to the corner inside the closet.

Old 02-19-16, 01:48 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Do I need to put electrical tape around the 2 wires disconnected from the transformer or the 2 wires I disconnect from the door chime?
Re: The low voltage wires: It wouldn't serve any purpose since they aren't live. You should though cut them as short as possible so they can't be reconnected. Re: the 120 volt wires. They need to be capped with wire nuts and left in a accessible junction box unless the cable is disconnected on both ends (Both at the transformer and where it is connected to power.)

Old 02-19-16, 01:51 PM
J
So the 2 wires which I will disconnect from the transformer and 2 from the door chime itself are low voltage and I just disconnect those and cut them short. For the transformer side I just leave them as is (cut short) and for the 2 wires from the door chime I push those back into the wall and patch/paint and I'm good to go? In my case I'm not dealing with the 120 volt wires at all correct?

Old 02-19-16, 03:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Yes you are correct. Once the wiring is disconnected from the transformer.... there is no voltage anywhere in the doorbell wiring.

Just a comment here.... you are one of the few people I have run across that wanted to remove a wired system and switch to wireless. I have customers completely fed up with wireless systems that actually pay me to run low voltage wiring.

Consider well what you are doing.

Old 02-19-16, 03:44 PM
J
Just a comment here.... you are one of the few people I have run across that wanted to remove a wired system and switch to wireless. I have customers completely fed up with wireless systems that actually pay me to run low voltage wiring.

Consider well what you are doing.
Well the door chime is located in a spot on a wall that I want to put up a painting and it is really in the way. I know I can move it up, but that would require some work and holes so I'd rather just move it once and for all and opt for a wireless one instead.

Old 02-19-16, 04:38 PM
A
Received 277 Upvotes on 253 Posts
Since you are going to cover up the area with a picture you could leave the doorbell wires sticking out of the wall for future use. Tape over each wire end separately and there would be no electrical hazard.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: