Sub panel: Yes, yet another sub panel question...

Old 02-28-16, 02:20 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sub panel: Yes, yet another sub panel question...

Location: Firestone, Colorado (about 25 miles north of Denver)

I'm trying to determine a good placement for a sub-panel. The main panel is on the outside of my home, on a kitchen wall and behind the garage. There is a door about 12 feet away, into the garage, and I would like to place the sub-panel next to that door.

If I measure from the outer edge of the door frame to the nearest obstruction, it is 27", which would be 3" short of legal. But, if I measure from the door itself, then there are 30 inches. The door swings away from the proposed installation. The obstruction is a 5" OD radon pipe from the basement, that eventually proceeds out of the garage.

So, is this a legal installation location, or do I need to move to the opposite side of the radon pipe, where I can create plenty of spacing, but I lose shelving space?

I'll ask another question on sizing, but I'll limit this entry to just this single issue.

Thanks,
Eric

Old 02-28-16, 02:23 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The panel does not need to be centered in the 30" foot print. The door is not an obstruction.

Old 02-28-16, 02:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,331 Votes on 1,230 Posts
Since this thread is already started..... feel free to ask additional questions here. This is your thread.

Old 02-28-16, 03:10 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's not the door that is the obstruction. It's the radon pipe. If you are saying that as long as the 27" of wall plus the "36" door means I have unobstructed space of "63", and I'll still be able to swing the panel door 90+ degrees, I guess that means I'm good to go.

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited by erichlund; 02-28-16 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-28-16, 04:06 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes that is what I mean. Post a picture of the area just to be sure we understand what you have. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html Please adjust width of images to 1000px or less.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: