Electric oven has to be on for kitchen lights to work

Old 03-04-16, 05:19 AM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Electric oven has to be on for kitchen lights to work

[ lights to work.The lites won't work, unless the oven is on.If i try the lites without the oven lite on,They won't work. Now. my wife says this wasn't happening before you started messing with the garage lite. In turn i says "You know absolutely nothing about what i am doing. So leave it at that... while i get help.So she 'll come home tonight and be abit sore ass ..Back to my problem.,Would this mean i may have a lite wire crossing the oven wire. one Circuit over another circuit> no sparks everything works...other that the garage circuit. Which i have about licked,thanks for looking bob s[/B]

Old 03-04-16, 06:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I was mystified by a similar situation 25 yrs ago, some of my lights would only work when the water heater was on. In my case it was a break in the service cable [between meter and main breaker]. The electricians should be along shortly with more/better info for you.

Old 03-04-16, 07:35 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
What did you do in the garage?did it work before you starting messing around?

Old 03-04-16, 09:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Your wiring of the garage lights should not be connected to your problem.

As Mark mentioned....
You've lost a leg of your electric service. That means the electric stove should not be heating either...... is that correct ? All 240v appliances should be affected.

Old 03-04-16, 11:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Call your power company emergency number now. Get them to come out and see if the problem is in their equipment .

Old 03-04-16, 01:01 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
This is a problem in the service entrance. Agreed the first step is an emergency service call to the power company. See if the guy will also take a look at your meter can and service panel while he's there. Next step would be to have an electrician check out your main panel and main breaker.

I would strongly recommend that you turn off all double pole breakers in your panel until the problem is fixed. This can cause damage to appliances.

Old 03-05-16, 01:16 PM
B
Dead leg in main disconnect -i flipped the switch 200 amp several times- and electricity was restored .Consumers power said i should get new leads from the weatherhead in...........but if it ain't broke don't fix ir aayy thank you all for coming to my rescue bob s

Old 03-05-16, 04:30 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
I would assume you you are going to do something main disc. or breaker, if it failed one it will again at the worst possible time,
Just Saying!

Old 03-06-16, 06:58 AM
B
It will probably last 10-12- more years if i have that many left. One gets to a point in life.where has to weight the pros and cons on the money he spends....and the money he don't need to spend thanks all bob s

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: