Outdoor Motion Sensor Deck-Lighting. Can't find or rig!

Old 03-06-16, 07:56 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outdoor Motion Sensor Deck-Lighting. Can't find or rig!

Hi there-
I need some small lights run under the rail or on baluster of 6 front porch deck stairs that are in a dark area. I don't mind purchasing if they'll do what I need given the area, other option is to convert, if possible, a regular set of low voltage deck lights I own (not LED) to be motion activated if I could figure out a way. I don't want lights that stay on all night, not sensible for the application. Here's what I've found and why it's not a viable solution (that I can think of) for me:

1. Battery-Operated Motion Lights- Have tried (Mr. Beams) but too dim
2. Solar- Area where lights are does not get sun
3. Motion Activated Flood light - No area to mount where needed, if I put up some kind of pole the light would be directly in your face.
4. Researching an inline motion sensor rigged into lights I have (non- LED), two options I've found...not sure if they'd work? I'm assuming you cut and wire the switch in between the transformer and first light?

10-50W 12V Outdoor Security PIR Human Body Motion Sensor Detector Inductor Switch for Led Floodlight --Black - - Amazon.com
OR
Pir Switch12V/24V 8A 0.2W Outdoor Security PIR Infrared Motion Sensor Detector Movement Switch 5 Meter New Arrival 49-in Sensors from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Brent
Charlotte, NC

Old 03-06-16, 09:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Assuming that this is an outdoor installation the low voltage motion sensor will not work as it is not rated for wet locations.

Installing a motion sensor to the existing low voltage light is an option. You need to control the receptacle that is powering the transformer that runs the low voltage lighting. Can you post some pictures of what you are working with and perhaps we can offer some suggestions.

Old 03-06-16, 09:16 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html Please make the width of the images 1000px or less or they may not post.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: