Battery power bank question

Old 03-07-16, 07:43 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Battery power bank question

My phone battery runs out pretty quickly, and so I thought of making my own portable charger.
I want to use some Li-ion batteries in parrallel so I can get more mAh for charging. May I ask if I can put more than one "0.9V-5V to 5V DC-DC USB Step-Up Module" together as I want 2 port for charging and the other for Wireless charging. I would also want to have a "5v micro usb 1a lithium battery charging board" to charge the battery bank. Also, how can I make LED battery indicators and lastly how can I make it a safer device?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-16, 09:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 625 Votes on 578 Posts
No need to "make" anything. Exactly what you want already exist and is pretty inexpensive. I would just buy a backup battery pack. They have a lithium battery and most have a couple USB charging ports and most come with the charger.

Old 03-07-16, 02:21 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I want to try making one as it would be a fun project I am able to learn from.

Old 03-07-16, 03:19 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 625 Votes on 578 Posts
You do need to be careful with most lithium battery chemistries. They require special charging and cannot be discharged below a certain point without damaging them.

Old 03-07-16, 05:11 PM
L
Received 70 Votes on 64 Posts
You can make it if you really want to. You need charge controller and dc to dc converter for 5V output. Most of parts you will need are SMT parts and will be hard to build your own circuit.
However, as Pilot Dane said, it will be a lot cheaper and nicer to use commercially available products.
If you want to make your own, you could buy a cheap one from China and replace cells with good ones. Many of those Chinese battery packs contain fake cells filled with sand and/or plaster.
But, charge controllers are usually good.