GFCI testing and receptacle tester

Old 03-13-16, 12:13 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GFCI testing and receptacle tester

I'm installing GFCI outlets in a 2 wire system at home, replacing 2 prong outlets.

I'm currently installing Legrand 0026603 self test model.

Also bought a Southwire 40020S Receptacle Tester with GFCI test function.

I installed the first GFCI a few days ago and believe the R.T. tripped the GFCI that day.

Today I installed a 2nd Legrand and the R.T. would not trip the outlet. I tried it on the first one I installed and it would not trip it either. So I tried it on another older GFCI that was already in the house and it tripped that one.

The test and reset function works properly on both Legrands.

So what should I think about that? These GFCI outlets have been interesting to work with.

Fyi the wiring is circa 1945 and nearly all outlets have a single drop except this 2nd one which is connected to a light switch. I am only connecting to the line side and have verified hot and neutral (w/ meter).

Also can this R.T. tell if H and N are reversed if there isnt a ground?

Old 03-13-16, 12:20 PM
Z
Well i did find the manual and it does say it may not be able to test or trip a 2 wire GFCI, so I shall put faith in the built in the built in testing function.

Last edited by Zephxiii; 03-13-16 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-13-16, 12:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Legrand's will not work if wired incorrectly, so I am assuming you are connecting the black to the gold screw and the white to the silver screw. Normal GFCI's will trip in a 2 wire situation. They only read the difference in amperage between the hot and neutral and trip at a specified differential, without the need for a grounding wire. Your tester will show no ground, but should tell you if the hot and neutral are reversed. You can do that visually as well.

Old 03-13-16, 01:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,145 Upvotes on 3,722 Posts
Those plug-in testers can act strange on two wire circuits.
You cannot check the trip function on a two wire circuit as it uses the ground to trip to.

Old 03-13-16, 02:00 PM
Z
Makes sense as it would use ground path to create amperage difference between hot and neutral.

Yes i am making sure hot wire ends up on hot line terminal etc.

Glad i am going through and replacing things. I just pulled a switch out and one of the wires let go of it. The other one was loose on the terminal.

Old 03-13-16, 02:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
If you find any that utilize the back stab feature, remove the wires with a gentle twisting motion or with a sharp probe and replace them under the screws. Back stabs are notorious for weak connections.

Old 03-13-16, 02:15 PM
Z
I did find one backstab. Replaced with a new switch. I've got 5 more to go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: