Electrical engineer? Kettering system

Old 03-22-16, 12:59 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electrical engineer? Kettering system

Looking for an electrical engineer that could help me rebuild an old school Kettering ignition system. On a newer motorcycle it would be called a cdi but 1979 it was called a Kettering ignition system. There are 5 wires and they all lead to a small capacitor maybe? I don't know what else it would be but that's all they connect to. If someone knows anything about these systems and could help me build one with new age parts I'll dig a little deeper on what it may be exactly. Thanks

Last edited by H3re2Learn; 03-22-16 at 01:14 AM. Reason: More info
Old 03-22-16, 06:35 AM
T
Received 47 Votes on 46 Posts
How old is "old school"? CDI was around in '79. Much before that, you had two basic types of spark ignition in motors. Points and condenser with a storage battery (what I would call Kettering); and, self-excited magneto, also with points and capacitor (small planes, lawnmowers, kick start cycles and the like). Cars in the '70's moved from points and condenser/battery to transistor switched timing, to eliminate the points/condenser.

Old 03-22-16, 08:38 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Its a 1979 honda cb650. Most bikes get the "signal" from the stator where the CB series had a separate pick up and I'm not 100% sure but I think it's running off of 12 volts DC and not AC. According to Google it was called a Kettering system even though people sell used ones on eBay labelled as "cdi" the unit itself is no bigger than a 9v battery but that's all heat sink, really all it is, is 5 wires attached to a component the size of 3 dimes stacked ontop of each other. If I can figure out how to attach a picture via the mobile site I will. But I do know for sure that 2 wires run to the pick up, 1 to ground and 2 to the coil. It's an old system and was the CBs weakness. Would like to know how to make one myself.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: