Backfeeding a portable building via generator

Old 04-02-16, 06:09 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Backfeeding a portable building via generator

So I've been reading around, and with my moderate knowledge of wiring I know it is not safe to backfeed into a house electrical system. However I've got a bit of a unique situation and I haven't been able to find a satisfactory answer. I frequently work on a property during the night, and there is a small portable building that is meant to be my office. It has a single 20 amp breaker on the outside panel, a total of 3 outlets (the exterior on under the breaker panel is a 15 amp GFI, the interior ones are standard) and 2 light switches for interior and exterior light. The only thing this building used to power is a very small window air conditioner, 2 surveillance cameras, a mini fridge and a laptop. The electrical meter is a few hundred feet away and has been removed months ago but the line to the breaker panel still remains. My question is this. With knowing the power will never be restored, and I would be using the generator only at late hours of the night (when there's no chance of someone installing a new meter), and it is a single breaker system, can I backfeed via a suicide plug? I do not have access to the panel to attach a backfeed breaker, and I would prefer to connect to the external outlet on the building. Sorry for the very long first post, and I welcome any feedback. I know I can just use an extension cord but I'd like a quicker and more elegant solution.

Old 04-02-16, 06:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
It is never safe to use a suicide cord. You need to use an inlet to feed into the building.

Pull the existing feeder out of the panel and abandon it.

Old 04-02-16, 08:56 AM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
Remove feeder from meter box to the breaker.

Get one of this.
Reliance Controls 30 Amp Power Inlet Box-PB30 - The Home Depot

You can install a 30A double pole breaker in the breaker panel and wire to this inlet box.

and this for the cord between inlet and the generator.
Generac 10 ft. 30-Amp Generator Cored-6327 - The Home Depot

This is the safest solution.

Don't think suicide cable is that much cheaper.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: