Pot light install issue

Old 04-11-16, 03:13 AM
E
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Pot light install issue

I am in the planning stages of a possible pot light install in my living/dining room. In my investigations I found that the LR/DR lights and outlets are on the same circuit with my Master Bedroom lights and outlets. There are the maximum 12 devices on this circuit

I had an electrician come in many years ago to add six low voltage pot lights to the master BR. I found that these were just added to the same circuit. I understand that he could do this (go over the code max 12 devices) because the actual amps used would still be below 80% of the circuit (15A). I recently replaced those low voltage pots with regular line voltage pots powering LED bulbs.

My question is about adding 6-8 more pot lights in the LR/DR. It seems to me that this circuit may be okay now, but what if I add those additional pots?

Old 04-11-16, 10:25 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
It's a good question and a specific distinction between US code (NEC) and Canadian code (CEC). Here in the US, we don't have a device limitation like you do. We'll have to wait for someone who has some specific CEC knowledge to chime in.

Just wanted to let you know that your question is being read - even if I don't have the answer you need.

Old 04-11-16, 11:25 AM
E
Thanks for making me feel included Zorfdt Never knew that your NEC doesn't have a device limit. Wonder why that is? Perhaps it's like our beers: our electricity must be stronger than yours!

Old 04-11-16, 06:30 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
My question is about adding 6-8 more pot lights in the LR/DR. It seems to me that this circuit may be okay now, but what if I add those additional pots?
The existing circuit is only 15 amps. There is no way I'd add anything else to it even if it is allowed up there.

Old 04-13-16, 07:20 AM
E
That's wise advice CasualJoe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: