How to add a ground wire to a light switch.

Old 04-21-16, 08:26 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to add a ground wire to a light switch.

I need to install an automatic light switch that requires three wires: a neutral wire, A hot wire, and a neutral wire. When I took apart the light switch I notice I only had a neutral wire and a hot wire. How do I add a ground wire? My home is older so none of the light switches have ground. I'm surprised that searching the Internet there's no simple instructions on how to do this. Somebody please explain it to me in simple terms.

Old 04-21-16, 09:22 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
When I took apart the light switch I notice I only had a neutral wire and a hot wire
If you have only two wires neither is a neutral even if it is white.

If there are only two wires in the box, a black and a white on the switch, the white is actually a hot that should have by code been remarked any color but white, gray or green. No good code compliant way to add a neutral to the switch box except a new cable from the breaker box.
How do I add a ground wire?
You don't need too. They are not needed for a switch to function and your current installations are grandfathered so no need to add a ground.

Based on your description I think this is the wiring you currently have. Does it look correct?
Name:  Sw_Loopb-pre-2011.jpg
Views: 17061
Size:  24.5 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 04-22-16 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-22-16, 10:13 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I need to add a third ground wire for a motion sensor light? How do I do this?

Old 04-22-16, 11:31 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I need to add a third ground wire for a motion sensor light?
Normally a motion sensor does not need a ground wire to work.* However you probably need a neutral for it to work. If there are only two wires in the box you don't have a neutral.

Please post a picture of your switch box wiring and the make and model number of the motion sensor. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html

*There is a remote possibility the you have a motion sensor that uses a ground as a neutral. Is that what you have?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: