Repair of damaged flexible conduit on dock

Old 05-03-16, 01:57 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repair of damaged flexible conduit on dock

I have a dock with a fixed pier that leads to another dock (electrically raised/lowered) and a boat lift. The power for the boat lift goes from the pier to the lift thru a waterproof flexible conduit that drops below the pier, thru a seawall, along the lake bottom, and then up the lift's steel piling to the lift. Total length of the run is about 50'. 220v, three wires. Probably 20 years old.

A floating log hit the conduit and broke it below the pier just above the water line, though it didn't seem to damage the wires. The conduit is filled with water, and the wires are exposed in the gap that now exists in the conduit. The lift still operates. Clearly this needs to be fixed, I'm wondering how to do so.

I could certainly replace the entire run, though that would be a pain and I'm wondering (hoping??) there is a shortcut. I could perhaps pull the wires back thru the conduit and try to blow out the water in the conduit with compressed air, then use a connector to splice the conduit back together. Not sure if this would be very effective and/or worthwhile. Thoughts? thx!

Old 05-03-16, 02:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The water in the conduit is not an issue. The wires should be rated for use in a wet environment.

Cut the flex and install a coupling on each end with a new piece of conduit in between.

Old 05-03-16, 05:04 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Pull the wires back and cut the conduit clean use 2 male connectors and a galvanized threaded coupling to make the splice,conductors should be rated for wet conditions as mentioned.

Old 05-03-16, 05:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Normally the water in the conduit is not a problem.... at least for the wire..... but how about the lift?

Old 05-03-16, 06:42 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help. PJmax, the lift is fine, the conduit basically makes a big "U" and terminates well above the water line so no problems there.

Since the wire should be fine with the water then no need at all to try to blow the water out of the conduit? Come to think about it, it likely has some sort of leak after 20 years so could have been full of water before. Sounds like the conduit is more to protect the wires than to keep out water?

Old 05-03-16, 06:45 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
It is assumed that any outside conduit will fill with water so water is figured in and wire used must be for wet location.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: