Pool House Wiring Subpanel

Old 05-11-16, 11:03 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pool House Wiring Subpanel

I'm planning building a pool house / storage building 22' x 32'. 75' from existing house that has 200 amp service. The pool house will have an outdoor kitchen w/ mini fridge, ice maker, gas grill. Small bathroom with sink and toilet. It will have recessed lighting and TV and stereo. The storage area will only have plugs and a electric tankless hot water (1400 watts).
My questions are what size wire and breakers do I need to run to the new subpanel and how many circuits do I need?

Old 05-11-16, 12:12 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You can probably use a 60 amp feed from the house panel using two #6 black, one #6 white, and one #10 green (THWN individual wires) in PVC conduit (60 amp breaker in the main panel) to a 100 amp 20 space main breaker panel at the pool house (assuming 100 feet or less one way distance).

It would be best to do a load calc for the pool house. Using conduit will allow you to easily increase the feed in the future or you can just go for a 90a or 100 amp feed to the main breaker 100 amp subpanel using three #3 THWN and one #8 THWN in conduit. (Assumes 100 feet or less.)

Old 05-11-16, 12:29 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Your "pool house" is 83% of the size of my previous house and has more amenities than my current house. Must be nice.

Old 05-11-16, 01:12 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Will the pool house panel also supply the pool equipment like pump, heater & lighting? If so you'd want to include these in the building load calculation. Assuming the pool equipment is not included, I agree with Ray's suggestion that a 60A service is reasonable for this outbuilding.

Do you think the pool house could be considered a habitable living unit? If so, code would require a minimum of 100A service to the building.

In any case, I would install somewhat oversized conduit to allow for possible future upgrades if ever needed. Conduit is relatively cheap. Something like 1-1/2" conduit will make the pull easier and allow for up to 200A if you ever really needed it. I also recommend installing a second conduit 12" above the power conduit for use with low voltage wiring (phone, cable, ethernet, etc).

Old 05-11-16, 01:46 PM
S
sectres

The pool house will not be used for habitable living unit. it wont be heated and will not include pool equipment. Thank you for the good advice on going bigger now incase future use changes.

Old 05-21-16, 02:48 PM
S
I have a couple follow up questions. I'm using PVC underground until I get inside the house. Do I keep using PVC conduit inside to main breaker box (30 ft.) or is there something better to use?

Also, when running conduit to new outside location, can I bring the conduit up through the middle of the slab where the breaker box will be located?

Old 05-21-16, 03:10 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I'm using PVC underground until I get inside the house. Do I keep using PVC conduit inside to main breaker box (30 ft.) or is there something better to use?
You transition to NM-b or SE cable. You will need at least a 4x4 box for the transistin. It can be mounted outside with the conduit going into the bottom of the box and the cable through the wall into the back.
can I bring the conduit up through the middle of the slab where the breaker box will be located?
Yes but remember you need a 30"wx36"d clear space around the panel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: