Wall Nuts vs Wire Nuts

Old 05-21-16, 10:38 AM
B
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Wall Nuts vs Wire Nuts

Does anyone have any experience with these WACO Wall Nuts (or other manufacturers)?

They seem superior to Wire Nuts in many ways and easier to use.

Are they consistent with code? Do you tape them afterwards like many do with wire nut connections?

Old 05-21-16, 11:04 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Never heard the term "wall nut". Do you mean Wago push connectors. They are fine to use just usually more expensive. Tape should never be required for wire nuts or Wagos if done correctly. Only amateurs tape wire nuts. I'd carefully check any circuit that has taped wire nuts for mistakes.

Old 05-21-16, 11:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
While I would not call them "superior" I do use them, and like them for many applications. I mostly use them for residential work wiring in receptacles and switch. Light fixtures I use wirenuts because the need to add the leads of the fixture to the splice.

They are UL approves and allowed by the NEC.

No splice with wirenut or push in connectors should be taped. It is a waste of time and just makes a mess.

Old 05-21-16, 11:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You'll find different types for specific applications, like for fluorescent ballasts. The push type are more common, but you can find those with lift levers for making changes where needed.

Name:  wago.jpg
Views: 1206
Size:  9.0 KB

Old 05-21-16, 03:32 PM
B
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Appreciate the responses. I came across the term "wall nuts" on the you tube video demonstrating their use. Some are the push type - some are the lever type.

They seemed easier to use then wire nuts especially once you have to connect more then three wires. Then seemed to do well regarding impedance, voltage drop, etc in the tests I saw.

Not sure why taping is considering a "bad" thing. It just seems an added layer of security if done neatly

Old 05-21-16, 03:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Tape just makes a gooey mess to no advantage.

Old 05-21-16, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Not sure why taping is considering a "bad" thing. It just seems an added layer of security if done neatly
A properly installed wirenut, or push in connector, does not need a second layer of security.

Old 05-21-16, 07:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Line voltage will arc through 2 layers of electrical tape, anyway, so no real advantage. Especially if you strip your wires to the correct length.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: