exterior outlet/ac from internal outlet

Old 06-07-16, 05:00 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
exterior outlet/ac from internal outlet

Hello:
I currently want to installed an electrical outlet about 20 feet away from my home.

I am thinking the best option is to run wiring from an internal outlet. (through the wall and under the ground to the desired location).

I have identified a GFI outlet that I think will work.

The plan is to drill a hole (through the wall and out the back).

I am sure this has been done millions of time and wondering if someone can point me to a quick guide/video that will guide me through exactly what I need.

Thanks in advance.
K

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-16, 05:23 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have identified a GFI outlet that I think will work.
Most GFCI receptacles are on restricted circuits such as bathroom or kitchen/dining room and can't be used. Where is the GFCI located?

If it is a circuit you are allowed to use there are multiple ways. You can either use direct burial cable such as UF at 24" or PVC conduit at 18" with individual wires such as THWN. If you do end up coming off a GFCI protected circuit you can go as shallow as one foot (assuming 120v@20a max).

In either case one way is to surface mount a single gang weatherproof box* on the outside wall and run your cable into it. From there you would go down to the ground with PVC conduit. If you used cable you would end the conduit a few inches below the ground. You would use conduit at your new receptacle in the same way to protect the cable. If you used individual wires you would run conduit all the way to your new receptacle.

* While I like to use a weather proof box some prefer a conduit ell (LB). Either is okay.

Last edited by ray2047; 06-07-16 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-08-16, 11:36 AM
K
Thank you for the quick response.

The GFCI's I have in mind are from the kitchen counter area. How would I know if they are on restricted circuits? Can I hope the outlet and look at something?

Thanks again.
K

Old 06-08-16, 02:15 PM
The GFCI's I have in mind are from the kitchen counter area. How would I know if they are on restricted circuits?
All kitchen receptacles are limited to use in the kitchen only. They can't even be used for hard wired lights in the kitchen. This rule extends to the dining room receptacles.

Old 06-08-16, 02:49 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Circuits which cannot be extended outside their intended areas include: kitchen and dining receptacles, bathroom receptacles, laundry receptacles and dedicated appliances.

Old 06-08-16, 07:07 PM
K
Thank you for the response.

Since the entire area of my house that is closest to the area I want to extend the outlet, is the kitchen, bathroom and laundry room, I guess I need to come up with another option.

What I think is the next viable option is to simply use an existing external outlet. That is about 40-50 feet away from where I want the permanent outlet. Therefore, I am assuming I could run/bury a LONG cable under the ground to where I want the outlet. At this point, I guess it is just digging the trench for the wiring.

I know this is all very vague with the information I have provided online, but additional thoughts on how others might have accomplished this, would be greatly appreciate.

for example, The exterior outlet I mentioned above is on the other side of my house. Would it be better to bury this cabling or run it over the house in an acceptable piping? Seems the piping would be much easier, but wanted to solicit feedback.

thanks in advance.
k

Old 06-08-16, 07:40 PM
Where is you breaker box located in relation to the new receptacle?

Last edited by ray2047; 06-08-16 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-09-16, 03:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 79 Posts
It is going to depend on the layout of you house, panel location and the amount of new load you are adding. Can you fish a cable across the basement ceiling to go outside?

Old 06-09-16, 08:04 PM
K
The breaker box is about 80 - 100 feet away and actually on the wall that I planned originally to use for this project. It is just further away.

Is the best thing to look at tapping into the breaker box? I assume this would be with a GFCI type of connection.

And, I don't have a basement.. (I am in Texas).

Thanks
k

Old 06-09-16, 08:17 PM
Now if you had filled in your location I'd have known your service panel was outside under the meter not hidden away in some basement the way the Yankees here do with theirs.

The breaker box is a good place if it isn't full or maybe if it is full. There are work-arounds. Using a GFCI breaker you only have to bury it one foot. If you don't mind the look you could run conduit up to the attic and cable across the attic to the closest point to the new receptacle then conduit down. While usually you use individual wires in this case you could use UF cable and only run the conduit to the attic and from the attic for protection but with the cable exposed across the attic (no conduit).