How to make a GFCI outlet independent from others...

Old 06-11-16, 08:17 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to make a GFCI outlet independent from others...

Hi,
I had a GFCI outlet in a bathroom that controlled the outlet of two other bathrooms. When I remodeled the other two bathrooms the guy from Home Depot said that I needed a GFCI outlet for each bathroom. I got new GFCI outlets and installed them in each of the new remodeled bathrooms but noticed that when it a short circuit is triggered in a bathroom all three of the GFCIs in the three bathrooms are also triggered. The only way to reset them is to reset the one in the first bathroom (the one with the original GFCI). I am now having problems and when I reset the GFCI outlet in the original bathroom seconds later it triggers ...
Can someone help me making each GFCI independent of the others?
Thank you so much for helping.
Louis
Name:  IMG_3828.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  37.4 KB
The first picture is from one of the other bathrooms.
Name:  IMG_3829.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  38.2 KB
This last picture is from one of the the first bathroom.

Attached Images  
Old 06-11-16, 09:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 108 Votes on 94 Posts
You would need to move the wires to the line terminals only. The load terminals are to protect downstream devices.

Old 06-11-16, 07:11 PM
L
Received 103 Votes on 90 Posts
One thing to note before moving the wires.
In older houses, outdoor outlets are often protected by the same GFCI. If that is the case, you need to change outdoor outlets to GFCI as well.

GFCI usually works fine even if there is another GFCI on it's load side. GFCI tripping is usually due to ground fault somewhere or bad GFCI. In my experience, it often is outdoor outlet. Moisture and bugs/dirts inside outlet and junction box can cause ground fault. That may be why your original GFCI is tripping.

Old 06-12-16, 06:00 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you guys! Problem resolved thanks to you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: