Wires running perpendicular to floor joist

Old 07-12-16, 11:52 AM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wires running perpendicular to floor joist

I'm finishing off my basement ceiling with drywall. It had a drop ceiling previously. The guy who finished the basement laid all thr wiring for the recessed lights on top of the drop ceiling and in a couple of places nailed it to the joists. The guy who installed the hvac wiring nailed them to the bottom of the joists as well.

I know typically they should be ran through a bored hole in the beam. However I am installing 2x4 across the beams to bump the drywall down to clear some plumbing in the ceiling. If I had a 2x4 on each side of the wire running parallel with the wire would it be okay to leave be?

Old 07-12-16, 01:46 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Yes a "running board" is OK as long as the cables are stapled at least every 4.5 feet. You should also take care to keep the cables at least 1.25" from the nailing face of the studs to prevent accidental punctures from the drywall screws. The "L" between the 2x4 and the joists should provide enough space to run a cable or two on each side of the running board.

Old 07-12-16, 05:03 PM
A
Received 116 Votes on 107 Posts
With a basement ceiling, no running boards are needed for the wires. In fact, moving the wires to a new 1x4 or similar running board above them will reduce the space between the wires and the drywall ceiling.

The new 2x4 furring strips will leave the wires with barely the 1.25 inch space from the drywall back surface although you can add nailing plates below the wires as they cross the joists if you wish to.

Proper stud finding techniques will result in fastening objects to the furring strips and not having nails aimed at the wires.

Old 07-12-16, 05:07 PM
A
Received 116 Votes on 107 Posts
deleted ................................

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: