Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Faulty GFI outlet, not sure how to diagnose exactly what is wrong

Old 07-12-16, 12:51 PM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone. Recently, about a week or two ago, every morning one of the GFI outlets in my kitchen would be tripped when I would wake up in the morning. It was the one that my coffee pot would be plugged into. This kind of happened out of nowhere.

This particular GFI outlet has 4 total outlets connected to it, the actual GFI with the reset and test switch on it, as well as 3 other outlets that are connected to it and trip that particular GFI outlet.

The other thing that is always plugged into one of those outlets is the microwave.

I assumed at first that maybe the microwave or the coffee pot was causing the problem, so I first tried unplugging the microwave before bed, and that seemed to work. I can have them both plugged in all day, but at some point in the night it seemed with both of them being plugged in, it would trip.

Then a few days ago, even without the microwave, just the coffee pot, it tripped again.

Yesterday, no trip with just coffee pot, today trip with just the coffee pot.

I had been trying to get an electrician to come take a look, but cannot get someone to come out to my house.

So today I went to home depot and bought a GFCI outlet tester.

when I plug it in any of the outlets connected to the GFI outlet, that do not have the test and reset button, I get a good wiring green middle light, but it trips the GFI switch.

when I plug it into the actual GFI outlet, I get an open neutral signal, and it trips. The kicker is it does not always do the open neutral, occasionally I will get a single green light, but it always trips.

I turned off the breaker for this outlet, and opened up all the outlets and pulled them all out. Expecting to see a white wire not connected somewhere in the chain. Unfortunately, nothing, so I am all out of things to check at this point.

I apolgoize if I got any terminology wrong, I don't really know what I am doing other than reading.

Can anyone make any suggestions of what to do next? I'd love to just get an electrician out here, but not having much success. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am nervous my family is in danger with some type of wiring problem.

One other thing, house is about 9 years old, we bought it new construction, so its not very old.

Old 07-12-16, 12:57 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
The next thing I would try after what you have already done is to replace the GFCI receptacle. They can just go bad and at $12 it's a cheap fix.

Old 07-12-16, 03:26 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Are the outlets' back stabbed or the wires under the screws?
Just looking at the wires is not going to check for a loose connection, need to try snugging them all down some.
All it takes is one loose connection to cause it to trip.

Old 07-12-16, 04:34 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
The next thing I would try after what you have already done is to replace the GFCI receptacle. They can just go bad and at $12 it's a cheap fix.
I agree

All you need is a new 15 amp GFCI receptacle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: